Good clean summer fun....

I have an '89 Malibu Skier my kids and I use on the lake. Once in a while the water is smooth enough for this old guy to get a good ski, but most of the time we're just cruising around, doing a bit of wake boarding, swimming, sunbathing, fishing, listening to Jimmy Buffet...just generally chilling and relaxing. It's good family fun.

The boat puts out a tiny wake (it's a ski boat) and when we're under way we're usually not doing more than 20-25mph. I've put some better alloy heads on the engine, better inlet manifold and carburetor, improved the ignition, etc. so the stock hp/tq has gone from 260 to about 375. Chevy 350. She's capable of 60+mph (done it twice by myself, on an empty lake, glass smooth water, GPS verified). Fun, simple, capable lake boat, and we drive it in a very restrained/safe and mellow manner.

A couple weekends ago we had my nine year old in the water learning how to get up on two skis. We had the flag out as she was getting lined up for a start, about 40 feet off the stern. I saw what looked like about a 45 foot Donzi/Fountain type boat coming directly at us at great speed - I stood up and waved a second red flag hysterically and blew the horn. At the last second the boat turned and missed running over my daughter by less than 100 feet. It scared my daughter to death and I just about had a heart attack. Holy crap. If it ever came about that I may be in proximity to the driver some day, all I can say is that it wouldn't be a good day for him.

What is it with stupid people and extremely fast boats? There seems to be some correlation. Personally, I think the slower your boat goes the more intelligent you are....with sailors generally coming out on top of the intelligence pile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp50CSUKBbc

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I've seen that video before. That was a serious face plant. Probably should be strapped in going that fast on chop.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Probably should be strapped in going that fast on chop.

...but, if you went inverted and couldn't get free of the 'belt...?

'Catch 22 situation.

I've seen the vid B4 as well. Couldn't watch it a second time. There were some pretty severe injuries.

What is it with stupid people and extremely fast boats?

'Same question has been asked re: extremely fast cars...and motorcycles...an'...:shrug:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I've seen the vid B4 as well. Couldn't watch it a second time.
I saw the short version some time ago. I kept watching joe driver doing that face plant over and over while LMAO. I might be going to hell but it just cracks me up watching stupid people cornhole themselves lol

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I saw the short version some time ago. I kept watching joe driver doing that face plant over and over while LMAO. I might be going to hell but it just cracks me up watching stupid people cornhole themselves lol

'Couldn't care less about the driver...just like I don't care what happens to yo-yos doing asinine 'dare devil' jumps and flips on bikes/motorcycles and the like.

Watching the ladies get hurt as a result of someone's idiot behavior is not my 'bag'.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sure they lived to hang out at the lake and drink another day. That one in the pink was cute!

a couple of weeks before a fast boat cross a slow boat , 2 men are died , the captain from the fast boat was thrinking and it was at night .
sad for the family from the people who are died.

Yeah, that driver gets seriously thrown down....and he's down for the count. What in the hell was he doing with the controls? It's like he was operating a video game....full on, full off, full on.... He puts the hammer down in an obviously congested part of the lake, must have been over 70mph. It's sexist, but the men on board know they're pushing it...the gals think it's just a fun thrill ride and then BAM their head is bleeding.

Go ahead and kill yourself doing something stupid....survival of the fittest....but don't put others lives at risk as well. I guess the driver can take some pride in knowing he's about the biggest door knob on the internet.

Back