Dashcams

One thing that annoys me, being a supercar owner, is the idiots on the road who feel they need to tailgate you at 3ft behind, pass you and then hit the brakes so they can get a front shot with their smartphones and such...

I'm sure lots of you have noticed similar behavior.

Because in such situations, an accident can happen quickly, I've been running a dashcam for a while, but it's a fairly cheap and all in all crappy version.

I ran into this one the other day, and was wondering if any among you have any experience with it.

BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS
(BlackVue DR650GW)

It comes with 2 cameras, one front and one back, logs on one SD card, and you can view everything with a smartphone or laptop over Wifi.

Other than that, it will film if your car is parked and something happens, which is perfect for carshows. And it also stores in case of an accident. Of course you can use it to save those great canyon runs as well :)

Happy to hear feedback on this one, or any other good solutions !

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's what we need for SLC's.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Blackvue-DR750LW-2CH-Wi-Fi-Touchscreen-Recorder/dp/B00MV4QFQQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S8ZX6EAW8J363NJ22XJ[/ame]

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I don't think I'd want a dashcam with build in GPS. Not that I'd ever exceed the posted speed limit, but I wouldn't want a digital record of how fast I was going and where that could easily be confiscated by the po po.

I don't think I'd want a dashcam with build in GPS. Not that I'd ever exceed the posted speed limit, but I wouldn't want a digital record of how fast I was going and where that could easily be confiscated by the po po.
I've used several versions of Blackvue cameras in my vehicles. You can turn the speed readout off so there's only a time and date stamp.

I've purchased most of them discounted through MassDrop (example):
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-car-dash-camera?s=blackvue

The Blackvue can be configured to record even with the vehicle parked and it will save any event recordable by G shock (using a voltage threshold to save your battery). The 2CH models record rear footage.

Useful link if you're thinking about a dash cam:
Dashboard Camera Reviews

(Another) Shane

Thanks (Another) Shane ;)
Do you still use the Blackvue, or have you gone to another solution?
Hi Simon,

I decided the 2CH unit cluttered up my forward view in my BRZ and was a bit of a pain to fit next to my radar detector. You want them mounted high and somewhat stealthy to deter thieves. It also depends on your vehicle as to how well it fits and how hidden it is. It doesn't fit my current vehicles well at all so I sold it and will probably grab the newer technology camera when it next hits the market. They appear to be releasing a newer model every year. I would never buy it at full retail price as I think they're all way overpriced. All of them.

BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Dimensions:
Front camera dimensions: 4.67 x 1.42 in (118.5 x 36 mm)
Rear camera dimensions: 2.65 x 1.09 in (67.4 x 27.6 mm)
(Allow for approx 1/2" offset off the front windshield, rear isn't an issue)

I liked the Blackvue for its Wifi capacity but honestly never used it. There were a few times I pulled the SD card to ensure I could save the events in case I ever had to recall them (e.g., a school bus running a red light in peak traffic), but that was also rare.

You can probably buy a decent, stealthy dash cam for much less than a BlackVue and still be happy with the quality of recording. In my experience, the earlier "DR500" version of BlackVue left a little to be desired for night time video quality, but the later versions have fixed that issue.

All I can recommend is do your research (as you already know).

Happy hunting.

'Tuna

Back