Aston Martin DB4 Zagato replica

Hi all

As some of you know I've decided to sell my Ford GT40 project as I just don't have the time and motivation to finish the car. Also there was one other major deciding factor. I've been driving an Aston Martin V8 Vantage around all summer and it was almost perfect. The only thing it lacked was some of the classic styling and charm that comes from owning a classic. So when a Aston Martin DB4 Zagato project recently appeared in the classifieds I just couldn't resist.

So here is my new project, yes it's not exactly concours yet but hoping in time it will become a thing of beauty. The car has a 4.3litre V8 engine from a V8 Vantage so should be good for 380bhp. The car is from a company called Evanta and after seeing what the end product could be I am sure you'll agree it's an exciting project.

So the next question I guess your all asking is why get rid of the GT40 project for another project. Well truth is I really missed my Aston, I love the brand and the Zagato is just a breathtaking design. As much as I'd want to see the GT40 on the road I want this that little bit more. The other reason I've decided to sell the GT40 is that I now need the money for the Zagato build. As I've said about the 40 I just don't have the time to dedicate to a build so I am calling in outside help and this car will be going to a professional restoration company for a full build.

I'll keep a build log on here for those who are interested and hopefully a few of you will appreciate the project. Here's a picture of the current car and a finished Evanta. Wish me luck

zagato1.jpg

zagato2.jpg

Trev

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Trevor,
I have a friend in Chicago doing an aluminum body DB4 Zagato. He is working with Ron Fournier .
I have pointed him towards this page and you guys may be able to share some ideas.
He brought it by the shop a few weeks ago as we will be building the chassis for it,....
They are such a lovely looking car...good luck with the project...seriously jealous.

Attachments

• IMG_0415 [640x480].jpg
    IMG_0415 [640x480].jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 3,328
  • IMG_0416 [640x480].jpg
    IMG_0416 [640x480].jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_0425 [640x480].jpg
    IMG_0425 [640x480].jpg
    54 KB · Views: 801
Trevor,
I have a friend in Chicago doing an aluminum body DB4 Zagato. He is working with Ron Fournier .
I have pointed him towards this page and you guys may be able to share some ideas.
He brought it by the shop a few weeks ago as we will be building the chassis for it,....
They are such a lovely looking car...good luck with the project...seriously jealous.

Thanks Fran, would be great to get in touch with your friend as I am sure we will be searching for similar parts etc during the build. That aluminum body looks lovely.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ooooooooohh.... This is going to be a yummy build Trev! :thumbsup:

Hi guys

Well some unfortunate news, the project isn't happening. I was due to take the car this week but there were one or two issues that I've been talking to the builders here in the UK about which would have added more to the budget and it was starting to creep up to a figure that didn't make sense.

Really gutted as the DB4 Zagato is one of the most beautiful cars ever conceived and I would have loved a replica with modern Aston engine.

Also there was another niggling thing that I couldn't quite pinpoint on the car and it's to do with the styling. It's not really a replica. It's more or less the same shape but there are a few areas that are different mainly around the nose. The headlight covers seem smaller than the originals and the grill is not the same shape. It's not completely obvious but I love the original styling and it would always bug me.

db4-compare.jpg

Anyway the projects off before it even started so sorry to disappoint you all. However the last few days have made me think long and hard about the GT40 and the reason I got involved with the car and so I am going to order the body and push myself to do a little more work as I know I'll kick myself if I don't

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry to hear that the Aston is off, but glad to hear you figured it all out before it was too late...

Trev, I have had eyeballs on several original and continuation cars as well as the Evanta. While similar, the Evanta differs slightly in the headlight area, grille shape, bonnet and boot. You made a good call! The continuation cars are really very close to the originals. I did like the three racing versions, especially the 2VEV car. Lower and wider, big mouth grille, etc.

One negative for the Aston Martin or any other road car replica is the amount of work reqd to get an acceptable level of finish in the trim and seating etc. GT40/cobra etc look just as good if not better with the bare minimum of seats & instrument panel

Back