Daytona coupe project

I have an opportunity to build a Daytona Coupe and I thought I would see what the general opinions are on the type 65 replica. The car is going to be a new product line for a replica builder and he has asked me if I would want to be his test mule. It would be a good quality kit, that I'm not worried about. You just don't see a lot these cars around. Why do you think that is?

I'm just looking for some discussion around this type of replica. Any one have any thoughts on the subject?

Dean

I like the coupe and have also wondered why there are not more out there.

Two things I notice about these cars:
1) On the FF version the quarter panels and their wheel openings have an odd shape.
2) On the Superformance (?) version, the rear axle width is too wide necessitating shallow offset rear rims.

Both of these things IMO make the cars look odd, in the case of the FF there is no reason for it other than they didn't take enough time with the mold or...

I have not noticed the FF wheel openings but I'm going to check that out. I would agree that the superformance has an odd look with the super shallow wheel offset. I think both of those problems can be avoided.

If one could get those issues resolved, what about the over all look? Would you go for a more original look or would you slap a coyote in there and go for a restomod look? You would certainly have more flexibility if you didn't have to stick to a period correct look.

Very nice looking cars. I saw a very nice example at Silver Springs a few years back.

They are just not as commonly recognizable to the general public, so many either prefer the roadster, or just prefer the car with the instant mass appeal.

A coyote would be cool, but for a vintage car, I like the vintage look of a Ford V8 with an 8-stack.

I had a FF Coupe...People kept asking me if it was a 240Z with a body kit..... Was very hard to sell as well......

Last edited:

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Coach's Shell Valley Coupe draws a lot of attention. It's black with silver stripe. Lot of people like it but don't know what it is.

Dwight

it's for sale on Cobra County

Jan_29_2011_64_.jpg

I haven't been on the Kirkham website in a long time. Wow, those prices have gone way up! $39,900 used to get you a nice cobra roller back in 2006! I sold a 289 Kirkham for $85,000 back then and thought I found a one in a million buyer! That helped fund my first RCR project.

It will definitely be fiberglass for this project.

I know the gt40 replica has raced in the HSR vintage races. I wonder if the coupe could as well?

Ron Earp

Admin
Wow those coupes are not inexpensive. I love the coupe look over the Cobra. Probably just because you don't see many coupes.

I had a FF Coupe...People kept asking me if it was a 240Z with a body kit..... Was very hard to sell as well......

Hit the nail on the head! I had a friend back in the late 80s with a Ferrari body kit on a z car. I always thought it looked sort of like a Datona Coupe.

Love that black coupe. Very nice car.

The car is going to be a new product line for a replica builder and he has asked me if I would want to be his test mule. It would be a good quality kit, that I'm not worried about. You just don't see a lot these cars around.

Dean

Fran has been awfully quiet around here. Even though the Daytona Coupe is front engine, it's technically front mid engined.

Hmmm...

I'm a big fan of the Daytona Coupe. Someone in Vegas brings his "Brock Coupe" to Cars and Coffee quite often. It's beautiful. Personally, I'd put in a Coyote with a 6 speed manual.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Factory Five has their act together and their Type 65 Coupe is actually a pretty nice car. While the body's not 100% faithful to the original it is good and well sorted. Chassis is a stretched FFR Cobra chassis and at 20g for a full kit, it is a bargain..
I just can't see anyone else getting into the market with a Daytona replica. If they do, it will probably be a splash off of an existing replica. 6 originals were made and there were differences in them as well as I have read...

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
If anyone is interested in the "other" Daytona Coupe the "Willment" with more racing history than all of the others combined here it is after I restored it. Also a very young me. Our own Dennis Olthoff's father probably had more seat time in this car than anyone. Late 1980's. Also picture of my shop with three GT350R models and the start of the Coupe project. The 105 GT40 was out of the picture to the right being serviced. I use to drive these cars to lunch to keep them warm.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 1,525
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 351

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
If anyone is interested in the "other" Daytona Coupe the "Willment" with more racing history than all of the others combined here it is after I restored it. Also a very young me. Our own Dennis Olthoff's father probably had more seat time in this car than anyone. Late 1980's. Also picture of my shop with three GT350R models and the start of the Coupe project. The 105 GT40 was out of the picture to the right being serviced. I use to drive these cars to lunch to keep them warm.

This was THE place to visit during my time in south Arkansas when Pantava was still in business. I remember walking through the shop looking at the GT350Rs and the mid-restoration stage of the Coupe. It was a very fascinating visit for someone who, at that point in time, never had an opportunity to see the real deal in person for many of the cars the Mike had up there.

Back