Mclaren mp4-12c

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Has anyone here on the forum driven one and what is your opinion if you have? If you own one what problems have you had? Comments on performance, maintenance, comfort or anything you like or dislike please voice your opinion.

Jack,

A friend of mine has a MP4-12C and a P1. I have driven the 12C only briefly. Used launch control and it was incredible. That being said, the GT40 will have a better power/weight ratio (but no traction control).

I got to ride in the P1 at Texas World Speedway. It was beyond belief.

-Bob Woods

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
But as for the GT40 replicas, you can find one to tinker on it :devilish:

Other Makes MP4 12C | eBay

I would be afriad of working with broken carbon fiber, I can twist a wrench but don't know squat about body work. :)

Bob my plan was to go to Dallas this weekend and drive one at Mclaren of Dallas, seems like real friendly people at their dealership. They are #1 Mclaren dealership in the world. Hope the weather holds up....

Mike I'm selling my LP400s Countach I've had for 24 years and want to try something comfortable with all the whistles and bells, not saying this will be it but from what I've read they are bullet proof. The value of them hasn't held up well but thats a positive for me buying a used car. Many cars with 3-10k miles for $100k off sticker price.

Seems like a lot of them in the UK, anyone across the pond been in one or been to the factory?

I'm lucky enough to have driven a variety of super/hyper cars as part of my job (chassis engineer for a major supplier). The mp4-12c has to be one of my favourites as it's very easy to live with. Compact, easy to see out of, manoeuvre etc compared to other super cars. Power delivery is something else due to the turbo set up, the sensation of the acceleration increasing not dropping off at high speeds is unlike the na super cars. Love the red stitching /font being the same as the f1 too. Nice touch. That said it's not much of an event, it's a compact supercar that's quite practical, upto you if it sets the pulses racing.

The p1 on the other hand is insane. Completely insane. I've driven plenty of 600+hp cars (and spent a lot of time in a veyron ss) but the p1 left me in shock. It's hard to relate to the performance. Drivetrain is neat too, love the way the transition from electric to ic power is seamless at city speeds. You pour fuel all over the roof when you fill it up though!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'm lucky enough to have driven a variety of super/hyper cars as part of my job (chassis engineer for a major supplier). The mp4-12c has to be one of my favourites as it's very easy to live with. Compact, easy to see out of, manoeuvre etc compared to other super cars. Power delivery is something else due to the turbo set up, the sensation of the acceleration increasing not dropping off at high speeds is unlike the na super cars. Love the red stitching /font being the same as the f1 too. Nice touch. That said it's not much of an event, it's a compact supercar that's quite practical, upto you if it sets the pulses racing.

The p1 on the other hand is insane. Completely insane. I've driven plenty of 600+hp cars (and spent a lot of time in a veyron ss) but the p1 left me in shock. It's hard to relate to the performance. Drivetrain is neat too, love the way the transition from electric to ic power is seamless at city speeds. You pour fuel all over the roof when you fill it up though!

Thank You! I've heard enough to make an appointment with Mclaren of Dallas for a test drive and review 2 weeks ago, unfortunately the weather has not agreed with my plans but if at all possible a dash to Dallas in the morning and back. I will post my findings.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I test drove a 2012 MP4-12c with 3800 miles on it a few weekends ago, it was amazing is all I can say and seems to be almost bullet proof. Sort of felt like driving a lexus IS300 around Dallas in stop and go traffic but when you had a chance to press on the accelerator it reminded you it had a fire breathing dragon behind you ready to fly.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
If all goes well I'll be driving this home in a couple days.

Attachments

• IMG951524_resized.jpg
    IMG951524_resized.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG951525_resized.jpg
    IMG951525_resized.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG951526_resized.jpg
    IMG951526_resized.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG951527_resized.jpg
    IMG951527_resized.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG951528_resized.jpg
    IMG951528_resized.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 280
SSSoooo you trump ease of access and comfort for your 600 hp over the GT 40???? Really can't blame you. In a year or two I may be in the same boat, but my plans for that day are a little different. Hope that deal works out for you.

Bill

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Ha Bill, same HP but with electronic traction control, cruise control, and heated seats PLUS has 2 cup holders. Call me a p-----y but my old butt needs a change of pace.

Rick my wife said to me...... Do you really want another car you have to work on, you have plenty of those already. :) She is right.

We were totally impressed with the MAC, I love the 575 and the 599 but have had 9 ferraris over the years best I can count and still wonder why I keep buying them because they do need a lot of work and attention to keep them running. So I'll try something made in Surrey England for a change, besides it comes with 1 year warranty with road side assistance on a 2012. The car has 2479 miles on it, in the next two weeks it will be triple that as we are going to take a cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my GT40 but this has a place for the wifes luggage. :)

I do love the lines

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 314
Jack, you've moved from Slough to Surrey....and ahead about 50 years..... Enjoy the McLaren and don't let all that power corrupt you!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack, you've moved from Slough to Surrey....and ahead about 50 years..... Enjoy the McLaren and don't let all that power corrupt you!

You know as well as anyone Cliff, your only on this plant for a short period of time so make the best of it. The GT40 was the most powerful car I've ever owned or been in, the lines of the car are iconic and historic but thank God I didn't have one in my 20s or I would not be here making this statement.

Stunning car!
Wish I could have seen it in person when you were here picking it up.

Still have the 456M?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
WOW!! That is one sweet set of wheels Jack!!!! Good job!

Back