New Mustang Replica

Pat

Supporter

Attachments

• revology-replica-original-ford-mustang.jpg
    revology-replica-original-ford-mustang.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 333
Viewed this car at Amelia this weekend. Really well done, priced outrageously though, starting around $129K

Begs the question WHY?? Yes it is a beautiful car (I prefer the Hard Top) but they are hardly a rare item. They were a mass production vehicle, granted good originals are hard to find and have become very expensive but there are a few still around. A friend of mine owned an original GT350 one of the 50 factory "Paxton Blower" cars that I know he sold for NZ$ 300k + but that was a very special car. Looking at the web site these seem to be a classic body wrapped around modern mechanicals. I can't see the value. JMHO cheers Leon.

Leon "read it right". Modern mechanicals and new sheetmetal at a premium.
It is very well done, but not for me.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I read that they were using the good ol' 302 pushrod engine with SEFI...
That's a LOT of cabbage...

Somebody made a big mistake on the market analysis if they think they weill sell more than couple of these at that price.

I have seen fully restored original cars with collectible options selling for less than that.

67/68 fastback bodies have been available for a while now. At $16k for the bare shell, thats still a bit steep, but you could easily finish it off with either vintage or modern drivetrain for WAY less than $125k.

Hi Jack, I did see it was completely new sheet metal, By classic I didn't mean restored I ment style. There a few places over there building new bodies for a range of Muscle era cars which is fantastic but I have heard (on this site) that it has started debate on whether you can still call these originals, so where does that leave these guys.
Cheers Leon.

Yeah I understand that they are calling it a replica, what I mean is where does it fit with its pricing? I think we all agree that the reason for the high cost of original cars be it a GT40 or a 60s muscle car is it historical pedigree and rarity. I know if you build a RCR 40 properly it will cost you around $100k but the car you are replicating is worth Millions and was built in limited numbers. Don't get me wrong, I love this car and it is built beautifully, I just wonder how it will sell at that price.

Cheers Leon.

I totaly agree Jack, its the price that will hurt its chances which is a real shame as these people have clearly done a great job. I do wish them the very best.
Cheers Leon.

does that mean I can sell my moded 69 mustang for $125,000 too? ok who wants to buy it. I know you do. it is a 11.5 quarter mile car and if you changed the boost you can do 10s. I think this guy is going for the elinor market.

That whole Elinor thing, me just don't get it. No how, no way.
My HS car was a red 66 Mustang convertible, fun car, 125K? No, not, never.
Seems like an odd business model, who is the target market?

I would not confuse this '66 vert replica with any sort of 'Eleanor'. That was just a silly oddity that somehow used a bad movie to create a demand for a car that is really just a bastardized restomod. I admit, it did bring some fresh blood and new thinking into the vintage Mustang world, but that thing is just UGLY. IMHO.

Now here is a little story about what makes original Collectable cars worth the money.
We would all love to own a historic race car and what makes that car collectable and sets its value? mostly its race history, thats what we want and most true collecters want. Now some friends of mine who have a large collection of Race and Rally cars learned an expesive lesson afew years ago. They bought a Group B Austin Metro 6R4 that had a very good history and was infact a Factory Car in the World Rally Championship. They then spent a considerable amount of time and money restoring it to the point it was in Concourse condition. They then took it to Europe to some historic Rallies in the hope they could sell it and why wouldn't you want it, it had great history and was immaculate. But Nobody wanted it, the reason?? it had lost its history in the fact it didn't have the graze it got at Monte Carlo or dent it got in the RAC or all the other bits of history they had painstakenly restored out of it. So my point is, be carefull how much you restore your classic race car because you may actually devalue it. For those of you who don't know what a Metro 6R4 is I have attached a photo.
images

Leon you bring up strong issues and give pause for thought to speculators. It might be a simple case of horses for courses. I love old rally cars and agree they should be maintained in the condition they were raced but thats just my humble opinion. I recall a few years ago attending the Amelia Island event which was celebrating the spectacular 63 Ferrari 250 GTO. Of those attending.....(I think there were 8 or 9) the one that I would have taken home with me was the one that had been untouched. Cracked paint, chicken wire stuffed into air inlets, delaminating glass, torn seats etc. But there it sat next to some of the most pristine examples of the car looking neglected.

I loved it.

ha so true. I once was on a road trip in my 69 mustang stopped for the night and there was a car show across the street so I parked in it opened my hood. the car was dirty and dead bugs all over had a case of beer in the back clothes food rappers all over. they must have thought oh my god. I was happy I was driving it and having fun.

Back