Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Anyone have any experience with the Mondial? I have a customer that wants to trade an 86 3.2 Cab with 20k on the clock. As it happens No1 son is looking for a four place toy and this is a possible. I have looked at FerrariChat (yes , I am a member and do peruse it from time to time) but I need a real opinion. I know the internet line "repairs will make a cheap car not cheap" but from what I have seen a decently maintained example should give 3-4k miles per year at a reasonable cost and still return some money at resale.

Anyone had one?

Rick,
Here is my 2c. I have not owned a Mondial, but I have had a GT4.
The model you are looking at is very nice. It has the 3.2 4V motor which is far superior to the earlier 2V cars. More power too.
The trans on those had some upgrades over the previous cars too.
One of the pluses is that the parts are still reasonable on those years. As soon as they went to the 348, 355, and newer, the parts are just stupid.
And the Mondials look great with later model wheels on them. A really nice budget upgrade.

Get into it now, the prices have been going crazy, and they will only go up. If it's a nice car he can drive AND make some money on it.

Reed H

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
They have a lot of electrical problems. Mine was a Mondial t cabriolet, but it had a LOT of electrical issues. Like the master circuit panel deciding to melt. Literally. I would get a serious PPI.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
They have a lot of electrical problems. Mine was a Mondial t cabriolet, but it had a LOT of electrical issues. Like the master circuit panel deciding to melt. Literally. I would get a serious PPI.
I had an 85 coupe, my wife love the car BUT as Jim said they have had electrical problems, the main panel is under the front bonnet if I can remember and if the lid doesn't seal correctly or if the water drains for the pan in front of the windshield plug up water goes onto the panel. Motor wise they are wonderful if you rebuild the water pump every time you replace the belts.

Back