Cool jet pics

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Got to have at minimum of 4 alpha-numerics, beginning with an "F" followed by a one, a zero, and then whatever third digit pleases you. Those were cool.

As an "old"er AF veteran, I agree with Terry. The F-100's, F-104's, etc were just being phased out as I came in, but they were great aircraft. The F-4's were replacing the F-100's - the F-4s were absolutely HUGE aircraft.
As a kid during the height of the cold war, I remember seeing F-100's mounted on catapults in "ready" hangers that had the roof opened and pilot's sitting in them on alert ready to launch from the catapult with JATO bottles attached to the aircraft. I've tried to find photos, but have had no success.
The A-7's were ok, but not exciting. The most memorable experience with the A-7's was when we (I was maintenance, not flight operations) did NATO operations off the public highways near Ingolstadt, Germany. We would park them in earthen embankments off the side of the road and then shut down the highway when it was time to fly.
Times have changed.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
F104 Star Fighter was my fav as a young lad...

Re: F4 Phantom. Great quote from the movie "Red Flag The Ultimate Game"
--- As he's pointing to a video of a phantom in flight ---
and this, gentlemen, is America's proof to the world, that with enough thrust - even a brick can be made to fly...

Those were some big ol' heavy ass birds.....

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I know if aesthetics are important, the Phantom is hard to love...But here is another BIG Navy twin that was a very beautiful aircraft.

Back