Final Hoorah of XH558

Keith

Avro Vulcan XH558 has lost it's seemingly endless battle to stay airborne. Here she is pictured at Bournemouth Airshow today, en route to the Shoreham Airshow. I have no idea if she displayed there or not give the circumstances, but I would guess not. These then may be among the last ever pictures of the glorious airplane in flight. Also a monument to a different time in Great Britain when we had a vibrant and world beating aircraft industry...

Enjoy one last time.....

And a couple of bonus file pictures....

Attachments

• Vulcan 1.jpg
    Vulcan 1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Vulcan 2.jpg
    Vulcan 2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Vulcan 3.jpg
    Vulcan 3.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Vulcan 4.jpg
    Vulcan 4.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Vulcan 5.jpg
    Vulcan 5.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 209
Keith,

They flew one slow, quiet pass along the display line.

Regards Steve

PS. 13 more airshows currently booked, (including Goodwood Revival on Saturday)

Last edited:

Keith

Keith,

They flew one slow, quiet pass along the display line.

Regards Steve

PS. 13 more airshows currently booked, (including Goodwood Revival on Saturday)

Glad to hear it Steve, although with XH558 you never know. I'll have to find another charity now, having supported XH558 for many years with my "widow's mite." :)

Hi Keith,

There will be a fund raising drive for the visitor centre / ground running costs etc in the future, but of course that will be cheaper than keeping it in the air!

Lots of aviation related ones (amongst many other worthy charities , of course).
I support the above, Classic Air Force, Friends of Duxford & Vulcan Restoration Trust, (that's our local one with XL426 at Southend airport.
I'm thinking of switching my Vulcan to the Sky funding to Sally B once XH558 is grounded & takes on the same status as XL426.

All the best Steve

Keith

For me, it would have to be either a Victor or Vulcan, planes that were at the apogee of our world class jet aviation history...

Yes great planes Keith, but I want to keep classics flying or get them flying again ideally.

We have the only B17 flying outside of the States & long may she continue, not least to pay tribute to the thousands of Americans who were lost on operations from the UK.

Steve

Keith

That would be Sally B. Saw her on Saturday. She replaced the Lanc which I understand had an engine fire? Hope it wasn't too drastic..

didn't they rebuild a lanc in Trenton Ontario? also there was a British plane go into lake Ontario many years ago during an air show.

That would be Sally B. Saw her on Saturday. She replaced the Lanc which I understand had an engine fire? Hope it wasn't too drastic..

Good Evening Keith,

The BBMF Lancaster had an engine fire (in flight!) back on May 7th & landed safely to awaiting fire tenders.

Following extensive inspection the new/overhauled engine is in place & currently the new cowlings are being finessed for final fit.
Then ancillaries can go back onto the engine & testing can begin in preparation for return to service. Looking good.

Regards Steve

Hi a lot of noise this afternoon , looked up to the sky, the Vulcan was doing three circles above our village. T.V news said it was doing a flyover Shutlleworth at Old Warden. Not sure but I think it was its last flight.
I saw her about 35 years ago, I was working on the roof at Cranfield College when she did two touch and goes, glided down the runway to about fifty feet then full power,nose up, bank right and the a second go. All my teeth have been a little loose since that day.
Regards David

Back