Bloodhound: Do you think they'll pull it off?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've never gotten into the idea of non-wheel driven land speed record attempts. Seems the easiest way to do this is to take the wings off an F-104, add a dozen JATO units, and modify the landing gear for high speed.

Last edited:

Keith

Hahaha I think the only thing you didn't say was meh.. :laugh:

Anyway, I think Breedlove tried that already.

There was huge rivalry for the land speed record beteen US/UK back in the day but of course, Muricans say it doesn't count if the wheels aren't driven.

But it is the land SPEED record we're talking here. Anyway, do you think they'll crack it? That Andy Green fellow must have a big pair is all I can say.. :eek:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don't believe it will happen with this design.. Honestly, I don't know why they are wasting their time and taxpayer dollars.. To what benefit? Other than fame and/or notoriety - I can see no positive contribution to mankind or any associated industries..
But maybe I am just getting old and being a bit more cynical....

Keith

No taxpayer money in this or any other past record attempt. All has been achieved through public subscription and commercial sponsorship plus possible tax breaks via charitable status. Engineers are unpaid volunteers and that's what makes it remarkable.

Did you say the same when Everest was climbed? What was the exact point of going to the Moon?

Tell me you won't be watching when they attempt 1,000 mph next year!

I certainly have no problem with it. I appreciate the engineering aspect of these kinds of things. Best of luck to the team. 1,000 mph on the ground is incomprehensible to me.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
No taxpayer money in this or any other past record attempt. All has been achieved through public subscription and commercial sponsorship plus possible tax breaks via charitable status. Engineers are unpaid volunteers and that's what makes it remarkable.

Did you say the same when Everest was climbed? What was the exact point of going to the Moon?

Tell me you won't be watching when they attempt 1,000 mph next year!

Well when it spoke of RAF Engineers being involved, I made a presumtion that they had done some of this work whilst on the clock and using tools / equipment paid for by citizens... Of course it may all have been on the up and up, but....

Everest or any other mountain climbing - I see no point and never have.. Daredevils, Record Breakers and thrill seekers cost taxpayers billions of dollars in their rescues - and for what?

Going to the moon - I do see value in this as well as other space travel.. Medical advances have been made as a result and we've come a very long way in our engineering abilities as a result as well... Take a good hard look at some of the systems and sub-systems being used in the space statiom as well as the deep space probes -- you'll find a lot of things we hold common today to be as a result of the technology advances being made on this level..

1,000 MPH on the ground. Big deal. We were going that fast in the air back in the fifties and sixties.. The only advancement I might see come from this attempt would be possibly from tires or computerized stability systems.. But I rather doubt it...

Sorry - these may be my opinions alone....

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
The GT40 Enthusiasts club had a day out with the crew and a lecture by senior engineer on the job and were allowed to crawl all over the kit at their Bristol site

The engineering and dynamics involved are incredible

The fluid dynamics that they did on the air surrounding the car as it moves had molocules moving 50 meters away from the car

Lockheed I believe it was offered to produce brake discs for the final slow downs after parachutes, they send them back the same day after testing. The question came back what they did and suggested why hit it with a hammer, they answered oh no we just spun it in a lathe, and it exploded before we reached rotation equivalent to 800 mph!

Brilliant day out!

Keith

No problem Randy, I just think it takes us back to when tech was being discovered at an amazing rate, when you think about it, man hasn't been flying much over 120 years or even less and look where we are. Bloodhound is either going to be a glorious failure or a resounding success and whatever the outcome, there will be something from the program which will be usable in the public domain.

As regards RAF engineers - they may be paid by MOD but it's part of a training curriculum quid pro quo..

From Wiki: The Bloodhound Project is first and foremost an education project designed to inspire future generations to take up careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) by showcasing these subjects in the most exciting way possible. The education programme covers all phases (ages) of education from primary through to secondary and further education, plus Bloodhound@University. Any school, teacher, youth group or home educated family in the world can register their details on the Bloodhound SSC website and download the free curriculum resource materials. Education institutions in the UK or South Africa can request a visit from a member of the Bloodhound education team or STEM Ambassador who will work alongside a teacher and deliver a presentation on the project. The Bloodhound education programme is also working with other STEM interventions and initiatives to ensure the Project reaches as many schools as possible. These include F1 in Schools (Bloodhound Class), the Smallpiece Trust, Primary Engineer, Science Made Simple and Young Engineers.

Best of luck to the team!
I think we will get a new record even if it is below 1000mph. The last one went supersonic after all.

Come on Randy, less of the bah humbug please.

Regards Steve

I think it is a wonderful approach that they have taken to try and bring the engineering to children and stimulate their interest. We have too many kids that have no idea of doing things within the real world only cyberspace.
They are largely a proven team and they seem to be looking at all the details as well as the sum and not rushing things and risking the project and safety. It is an amazing undertaking and absolutely fascinating. I wish them all the best of luck and will be watching with intense interest. It is good to see British engineering at it's finest.

I was lucky enough to attend a presentation by Andy Green on the project at our local university and got to meet and chat with him.

He presented some figures that showed the increase in numbers of engineering students once the space program started. As said, even if they don't make it the project has awoken interest in engineering in a new generation.

Regards

Fred W B

I think it is a wonderful approach that they have taken to try and bring the engineering to children and stimulate their interest. We have too many kids that have no idea of doing things within the real world only cyberspace.
They are largely a proven team and they seem to be looking at all the details as well as the sum and not rushing things and risking the project and safety. It is an amazing undertaking and absolutely fascinating. I wish them all the best of luck and will be watching with intense interest. It is good to see British engineering at it's finest.

It's interesting until I read this aspect of the project I had completely forgotten the interest in cars and all things mechanical the Blue Flame sparked in me as a kid.

Back