the Steinard MK3 takes shape

i thought i my as well start a new thread for the 5000 and leave the other just for the 40 as it should be.
so with that in mind progress to date, firstly one of the problems with the MK1 is you cant left foot brake, or tap up the brake pedal because the steering shaft goes right between the clutch and brake pedal, so what i have done is turn the rack up so the shaft is at a 70 degree angle and clears the pedals then by using two unis i can get the shaft to line up fine.

then this afternoon i presented the engine to the chassis for first fit, two small problems emerge 1/ i cut the rear tubes too bloody short by 250mm as i was originally going to use an Audi trans, but with the reverse bell housing and Leons trans axle, the drive shafts will be approx 80mm behind the starter motor, but its no biggy i will simply sleeve and fit an extension, and now i know where and how i can fit the rear bracing. so a few minor adjustments needed.
but I'm afraid my thoughts of a mid mounted fuel tank just went out the door,

there's no excess room that's for sure

and the good news my last two exhaust bends arrived this arvo so i can finish the headers, then i will set up my engine mounts etc,

getting there bit by bit.

cheers kaspa

I better get my A into G with the Trany then! looks good John, I'm looking forward to another great build.

Cheers Leon.

Yeh its getting there little bit by little bit, managed to finish the left hand header today so that's them all done, and got the engine all leveled up and square ready to fab up some engine mounts. and welded some sleeves in the end of the chassis tubes to take the extensions.

cheers Kaspa

Where did you get your flywheel from? I suppose it was an off-the-shelf item for LS Engines? I need to find someone to make me a small, lightweight one for the Ferrari engine.

Hi Troy yep thats an off the shelf Tilton Button clutch flywheel for the LS, Flat chat is the man you want to talk too about making one., or if he cant, send me a drawing of what you want and i can get it turned up. by my friendly machinist

kaspa

was doing some sheet alloy work yesterday and had a sizable piece left over so i thought that would do me nicely for an air box base, so drill a few holes and a couple of folds and here it is. i have yet to fold the sides up, but will wait untill the housing arrives so i get it right first time, have been caught out before.

hopefully the housing will be here by next week, then i can attack the ROPS, so it all will look like it was supposed to be there instead of an after thought.

kaspa

Hi John,

The axles arrived while I was at Bathurst and the main shaft is on its way, So progress is still moving forward. Are you going to do a "Snorkel" air intake like the later 5000s ? The Begg FM5 had a big snorkel that looked very cool and still suited the earlier style body. Better get down to the workshop and press on with the T/A.

Cheers Leon.

John, I think I stumbled across the motor for the Steinard MKIV, 1500hp crate motor. Looks like it will bolt up to chevy bell housing.

Attachments

• Mercury crate motor.jpg
    Mercury crate motor.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 615
jeez wayne this thing will probably kill me with 600hp why the hell would i want any more, then again i could change my name to Troy and say bring it on, lol

Russell steering rack is a Reynard item. very quick.

cheers John

spent the last couple of days sorting out the front suspension, and i must say the numbers came up not to bad.
with the hub at 0 deg camber i have
11deg KPI, 6 deg caster, adjustable from 2.5 to 10 deg
at 50mm bump i get 1 deg neg camber,
and at 20 steering angle i get 1.5 deg neg camber
uprites are Wilwood Mustang 11 with 2"drop.
and for the technically minded my motion ratio is 0.386, so springs around the 600lb mark will be the order of the day

and yes i do plan to replace the rope with proper drag links,

cheers Kaspa

Hi John,

Good to see some more progress. Unusual top bracket on the shock I'm sure you have a good reason for that orientation? What is the diameter of the brake rotors? Looks to be moving along quickly.
Diff, axles and pinion are mounted, The housing for the QC should be ready next week so just waiting on MR Howat for the input shafts which he was hoping to have off to heat treatment at the end of next week.
Waiting on you to give me the Go ahead on the rear uprights, the new pattern is all but ready to go to the Casters.
Keep to posts and photos coming, I should have some good photos for you soon.

Cheers Leon.

Hi Mate i used that orientaion on the shock mount for 2 reasons,, 1/ the bracket was contoured to mount to a tube, and fitting it sideways spreads the load on the top tube, and there is plenty of clearance on the spherical through full shock travel.
your good to go on the uprights, if i'm going to go broke it may as well be your fault, lol.
cheers Kaspa

I knew there would be a good reason, I will press on and you may have the lot by Christmas (no promises)

Cheers Leon

while waiting ever so paitantly for my trans etc to finish the rear of the car i'm running out of things to do up the front, so i brought the body home from storage and set that up on the frame, then seeing as some bright spark cut the front off i was in a bit of a bind as to how to repair it so what ive come up with is to leave it separate and have a removable nose section, will make clearance issues loading it on the trailer a thing of the past, so thats what ive done , made up a frame out of 14 x 1.6mm tube for the front with two forks to pick up the wing mounting tube,

then slide the nose on and it looks like this

still a fare bit of repair work to do on the nose as its been butchered rather badly, most of the floor of it has been removed as well as material out of the sides, but it will give me some more practice with my glassing skills, god knows i need them.

cheers Kaspa

Keith

Hi Mate i used that orientaion on the shock mount for 2 reasons,, 1/ the bracket was contoured to mount to a tube, and fitting it sideways spreads the load on the top tube, and there is plenty of clearance on the spherical through full shock travel.
your good to go on the uprights, if i'm going to go broke it may as well be your fault, lol.
cheers Kaspa

Hi John, regarding the top shock mount, in this orientation isn't there a lot more loading on the actual weld being sideways and not longtitudal?

Colonel the mounts are contoured to the exact dia of the tube, so the welds just hold them in place, no loading on them at all actually as they are also in a direct line with the shock.

cheers Kaspa

Keith

Colonel the mounts are contoured to the exact dia of the tube, so the welds just hold them in place, no loading on them at all actually as they are also in a direct line with the shock.

cheers Kaspa

Cheers mate couldn't quite see that in the photo, learning as I go!

Back