I Bought a Race Car

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
To be precise a classic Formula Ford, an 89 Swift. Their are a number of historic events down under that attract grids of up to 50+ cars.
Our intention is to restore the car and have it ready for the historic meeting at Phillip Island in March.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 905

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Re: I bought a race car.

A couple more pics. For some reason I cannot upload any more pics . Will try later.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

It wasn't Jack, that photo was taken after we had stripped the chassis cracked tested it and took it to the powder coater. So that is a pic of a partially restored car. The cross members and uprights are new.
Thanks for the congrats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 779

Pat

Supporter

Great acquisition Pete. It looks like a beautiful car with no apparent "alterations".
These cars are still competitive here in FF. They came in 2nd and 3rd in the SCCA national championships this year.

Brian Stewart
Supporter

Awesome Pete. Russ Noble seems to really enjoy his.

Mike Pass

Supporter

These things have very sophisticated design. Super stiff proper space frame chassis. Rocker arm front suspension. So light they don't need much power to be fast. We used to run an '85 Van Diemen in NW FF. 420 Kgs 107 hp. I remember corner weighting it and watching the readings change as the driver tilted his head from side to side. Enjoy!
Cheers
Mike

Keith

Nice one Pete! Are you going to get to drive it?

(ps moved here from the Paddock so that more can enjoy the thread)

She's a beauty Pete, congratulations!

Perhaps when it's done you can incorporate it into the "Dilemma" thread:heart:

If you get my drift.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Nice one Pete! Are you going to get to drive it?

(ps moved here from the Paddock so that more can enjoy the thread)

Thanks Keith, I wasn't quite sure where to post it.
I will drive it testing but my Bro in law who won the Australian Formula Ford championship in 1988 will drive it in the races. I'm team boss so I'm looking for a big cigar..:laugh:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete
Congratulations it looks stunning.

What engine does that era get, I presume 1600 cross flow?
Single or two Webbers?
Slicks?

Ian

Back