Notices

Wings, Wheels, and Keels Assorted discussions and build projects

Old 6th March 2018, 02:48 AM   #221
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

GT40: Mclaren M8b rep
Re: McCopy mk 5

At last I can relax, that`s the last big bit of molding behind me. 1.5hrs to gel coat, wait 4 hours then 3 hours of hand laminating and its all OK. I was a little apprehensive as I had previously started it on Sat and had a gel coat failure due to over doing the catalyst (2%). I was being a little bullish wanting it to cure so dropped back today to 1.25% as the temp was 22deg and rising. The nose section has been laid with 4 layers of 450gram chopped strand matt rolled out with a small fluffy roller which leaves a great surface as it mixes the surface up and removes joint laps. I also tear all my segments up and this also eliminates join lines. You will also notice that there are numbers all over the place, I number 1 to 4 each torn segment and it becomes a foolproof way of seeing / checking how many laminates you have placed.
I will let it cure for a couple of days then give it a squirt of compressed air to pop it out. The mold has now got a couple of chips around the guard louvers as they were a late addition, otherwise it will just go into storage. They only ever built 3 M8b`s, I am on my 3rd so its time to build something else.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
McCopy mk 5-dscn3607-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3608-jpg  
russell keach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 06:27 PM   #222
Udo Selter
Rookie
Australia

GT40: RF M6Breplica

Doing a really good job Russell. I'll be over in a month or so, will try to catch up with Leon, and was wondering what part of N.Z. you are located in.
Regards, Udo.
Udo Selter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 02:09 AM   #223
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

Terry
I have attached a drawing cross section of the spoiler lip showing how its attached. Once its `stuck` you can then glass it over.
Udo, I am in Auckland, Murrays Bay and would look forward to meeting you. Let us know closer to the date and we can make it happen.
Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img20180307_19001389.pdf (22.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 7th March 2018, 03:57 PM   #224
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

GT40: An orange car

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell keach View Post
Terry
I have attached a drawing cross section of the spoiler lip showing how its attached. Once its `stuck` you can then glass it over.
Cheers
That verifies my observation that the spoiler gets thicker as it descends down the back side toward the rectangular rear panel opening. Thank you again.

Terry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueovalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:46 AM   #225
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

Two into one muffler with twin outlets.
Does anyone have designs or comments on the construction of a muffler as described above?
Due to `TECHNICAL ERROR` my mufflers are very close to the body work and protrude out the back 30 to 40mm which means that there can be no grill work fitted. I may rebuild the system with one large muffler of appropriate dimensions.
Still working on the body work and hope to check fit the doors and nose clip over the next few days.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
McCopy mk 5-dscn3571-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3568-jpg  
Old 25th March 2018, 03:12 PM   #226
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

I have been looking at how Flow master mufflers are baffled and have drawn up what I think could work, the main difference is that mine will be side entry versus end entry. The body will be one piece with a division down the middle to separate the `two` mufflers and there will be a balance hole in the middle.
Not sure how quiet it will be but there is room to put stuff up the two tail pipes to quieten it down for certification.
Your thoughts.
Russell
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img20180326_08055703.pdf (137.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 26th March 2018, 04:37 PM   #227
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Try this, about 2.5" thick lengthwise installed in car, added a bit to the drawing to hopefully clarify..
Attached Thumbnails
McCopy mk 5-untitledrk-jpg  

Last edited by jac mac; 27th March 2018 at 04:18 AM.
jac mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 06:21 PM   #228
Rod Brace
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: McLaren replica

Looks like nice design Jac! Rod
Rod Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 03:17 AM   #229
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

Jac, many thanks, that looks very similar to the Flow master one so we are on the right track, I picked up some perforated pipe to help with the noise baffling. I should have listened to you in the first instance. At least I only have to remake the muffler as all my connections are bolted / flanged, I do not even have to remove the headers to replace the muffler. One trick I can use when sound tested is to block off one side and force it all out one pipe....hopefully a bit quieter.
Cheers
Old 8th April 2018, 03:29 AM   #230
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

Well after numerous measurements and estimates when fabricating the chassis, all the body elements are roughly in place. The only area where surgery was required is the same as on the original cars, the front shock tower mounts protrude into the wheel arch / radiator well. Simple shapes will be fabricated to cover there.
I have also got the design / method sorted to have the doors tipping out and folding back to allow short legged people access, this also gives easy access to both the fuel and drivers side pods. I plan on having the doors fixed in the fold out/down position for the certification process as in general they will not be used. I am not sure how my gear lever position is going to work our as its quite hidden under the right hand body work. If needed I will change to a center mounted lever via cables.
Cheers
Now onto making the mountings for the nose and tidying up the panel fits.
Then some paint.
Attached Thumbnails
McCopy mk 5-dscn3733-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3735-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3736-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3738-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3734-jpg  

McCopy mk 5-dscn3737-jpg  
Old 10th May 2018, 03:59 AM   #231
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

Bit more progress, all panels mounted and check fitted. Spent the last few days making the light boxes and sorting out how we will adjust the hi low beam lights. These units are Harley Davidson sealed LED units 140mm in dia. The polycarb lens will be glued and screwed in place. I have also made a mold for the dash today and laid it up so hopefully it will just `pop` out of my mock up. Not much more of the dusty stuff to do and then we can get back onto final assembly.....and maybe even start on the wiring.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
McCopy mk 5-dscn3749-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3750-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3753-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3751-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3752-jpg  

Old 13th May 2018, 01:55 AM   #232
russell keach
4 Tenths
New Zealand

Pushed the boundary`s yesterday and made the mold for the dash, waxed it a few times and then laid it up. Woke up this morning and first task was to check if it separated and as you can see it did. Fabricated the steel backing mounts and glued them in place so the entire dash can be removed for ease of wiring etc. Was going to coat it in carbon cloth but decided to do vinyl instead as I am running low on resin. Spent 3 hours fitting the passenger door into the body work, its made more complicated because it opens out / down then pivots forward to enable easier access. This function has to be hidden for the road certification although I suggest it is just to get access to the fuel tank!
Next big job is to rebuild my mufflers into one single canister a little shorter to stop it sticking out the rear.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
McCopy mk 5-dscn3754-jpg   McCopy mk 5-dscn3755-jpg  
Old 13th May 2018, 05:19 PM   #233
10 tenths
New Zealand

GT40: New Zealand

Great work Russell.
brianstewart is offline   Reply With Quote