McCopy mk 5

The parts spread out represent the start of my next project....not sure what it will end up as but options could be;
Mclaren M8B road car
GT40
Lola T70
or an M8 based coupe similar to the M6 road registered.
I have just purchased a completed rear suspension set up from a Holden SS Commodore and stripped out the hub and axle components ready to fabricate the rear uprights. This car will have an LS1 mated to ? another Audi / Porsche transaxel with conventional trailing arm suspension and shocks. Front suspension will be inboard shocks via push rods with front uprights probably from some rear wheel drive Toyota /Nissan/ Mazda van. Any suggestions would be welcome. Chassis design will be similar to many tube frame GT40`S with some changes. At some stage I will need to firm up what I am building how ever all these cars have similar wheelbase and width is easy to accommodate. Progress will not be rapid unless money some how becomes surplus or a buyer steps up.This is designed to keep me busy and not get a real job!
Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.
The idea of an M8B coupe has a lot of appeal, given that I have the moulds and putting a top on would be a simple matter.
Let the job begin.
Cheers

Russell Keach

Mclaren M8B with wing
Lotus 7 replica rover V8
Mclaren M8B
Lotus 7 replica
Toyota Starlet 4age
I will try and find the picture of the M8 Coupe.

Attachments

• DSCF3607.jpg
    DSCF3607.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 843
Good lord Russ you are a devil for punishment, and I thought it was only me silly enough to do another.
An M8b coupe would be awesome.

kaspa

Jac Mac
This one is for you....
on my last uprights using Subaru bearings and drive flanges, the bearing was retained on the inside of the upright by its circlip, this meant that when I welded up the components and encountered some shrinkage, it was just a matter of putting the snout of the upright in the lathe and dressing it to fit the bearing...simple.
In this case using Holden VT / VL bearings and drive flanges, the bearing is retained by its circlip on the outside preventing it from being `chucked`.
Question...do you see any problem of placing the circlip on the inside as per the Subaru set up....it would make bearing fit clean up easier. Realistically both bearings are acting against an internal `flange` by the axels once tightened for bearing preload.
Trying to pre think the problems....both bearings are pressed in fairly tight! and the Holden as standard is pushing against that internal flange when cornering by the outside wheel.
Cheers

Cant see any problem with that Russell, just make sure the circlip is a hefty one and a snug fit against bearing to prevent any bearing movement., you could always use a thread with a side carrier bearing nut from another diff of suitable size rather than a circlip if your getting happy with the lathe if there is enough room to fit it.

McCopy mk5
I have my rear uprights well underway now and have been searching all round Auckland for an Audi trans axel suitable but no luck so far!
It makes sense that the physical dimensions (axel output to bell housing face) are the same for a manual or auto trans. so I am thinking that I may try and find a suitable auto trans and manually shift it. Has anyone used an auto and if so what model and were there any issues
Cheers
Russell

McCopy mk5
I have my rear uprights well underway now and have been searching all round Auckland for an Audi trans axel suitable but no luck so far!
It makes sense that the physical dimensions (axel output to bell housing face) are the same for a manual or auto trans. so I am thinking that I may try and find a suitable auto trans and manually shift it. Has anyone used an auto and if so what model and were there any issues
Cheers
Russell

Russ i have a 016 5 speed over here you can have, also have the strengthening plate for it but havnt fitted it yet.

cheers John

Well, after many hours of cutting and grinding...fitting and turning and lets not forget the welding, I have finished the rear uprights. These will fit the Holden bearings and axel`s in the earlier pics. The extra tube sticking out the back is to enable the bearing side to be skimmed out to fit the bearings and will then be removed. These have been fabricated out of 3mm plate and there is also an extra gusset inside each leg. The centre boss started out as a lump of 90mm solid bar which was bored out and then turned to approx size. Must be time to order some steel tube for the chassis which will be be started as a GT40 and could be adapted to fit a Mclaren or LolaT70.
Cheers
Russell

Attachments

• DSCF3652.jpg
    DSCF3652.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 788
  • DSCF3653.jpg
    DSCF3653.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 670
  • DSCF3654.jpg
    DSCF3654.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 774
  • DSCF3655.jpg
    DSCF3655.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 738
  • DSCF3656.jpg
    DSCF3656.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCF3657.jpg
    DSCF3657.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 706
  • DSCF3658.jpg
    DSCF3658.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 768
  • DSCF3659.jpg
    DSCF3659.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 847

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I like the uprights Russell. Question: it appears from the photos that the lower link tubes for each upright, are not on the same axis. Is this just a photo distortion?

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
They look nicely executed. Apologies if I missed it earlier but what is the material used and weight each?

Best,
Kelly

Hi Kelly
I have used 3 mm mild steel for the folded / fabricated parts and the center bearing sections started out as solid 90mm bar. Weight of each upright is 5kg and whilst I could feasibly have used 2mm, its my first serious TIG work. The attachments will have nylon bushes turned and pressed in for 1/2 inch bolts / ball joints.
Cheers

I have started to loft out my plans for the GT40 chassis that I am starting so have some questions. Its based on the drawings shown below and I plan on it being either a GT40 or Mclaren once I get to the point of decision!
Q. Is the height of the sill critical for the bottom of the GT40 door area, could it be higher than the 174 to 200mm height shown? (the Mclaren needs to be around 300mm high but the extra width / height can be added to the GT40 chassis (1630mm) as its a wider car (1820mm)
Q. The same area contains the fuel tanks which appear to be about 175mm +- high by 260mm wide and approx 1000 to 1200mm long, is that adequate using both sides for fuel ? Unless I am wrong those dimensions at 1mtr long should give around 40 to 45ltrs.

Just waiting for the rain to stop before I pick up my steel and then sparks will fly.

Regards
Russell

Attachments

• GT40 chassis 4.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 629
  • GT40 chassis 5.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 615
  • Gt40 chassis 6.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 639
Russ, my 40 chassis sills were 200mm over all height and the M1B is also 200mm
the M1B is 1660mm wide over all at the cockpit, with an 880mm width inside.
yep approx 45 ltrs a side is what we had also.

Thanks John,
What I was trying to find out was if I made my sills the 300mm high as per the M8, would that compromise the sill / door height for a GT40.
I will build the standard 40 chasis and if no one buys the chassis then I will add the extra width / height and build a road registered M8......off to buy a lotto ticket!
Cheers

Back