917/10 "replica" :-)

Drivers are expendable in this price range.
When the boss said "mid engine" the engineers, uh. sorry. the carpenters took him literally.

First time I have heard of an engine being partially unsprung weight.

YeeHaa.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The welding on this car scares me....

Attachments

• IMG_5256.jpg
    IMG_5256.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 413

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Chain drive steering. Either that, or some very unique power assist. Brake rocker "plate" for the master cylinder. Home-built in every sense of the word.

Last edited:

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

if you ever get the chance to look at the welding on an original 917 tubular alloy space frame, you would not be so worried about this chaps welding.

Graham,

What do you mean by "...look at the welding on an original 917 tubular alloy space Frame"??

Is there something wrong?

;-)
Markus

Attachments

• IMGP4493 s.jpg
    IMGP4493 s.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMGP4498s.jpg
    IMGP4498s.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMGP4499s.jpg
    IMGP4499s.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 321

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
At last...Someone that can weld aluminum as well as I do. To have this kind of validation of my dirt-dobber welding, so early in the year, is yet another reason I love this site!

For you guys on the other side of the expanse of water:

Dirt-Dobber: a name commonly applied to a number of wasps from either the family Sphecidae or Crabronidae that build their nests from mud.

Markus those welds on the original. Look to be field repairs after a slight crash to that corner. If you look at the exhaust support bracket. It has a welded up crack in it too.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Markus those welds on the original. Look to be field repairs after a slight crash to that corner. If you look at the exhaust support bracket. It has a welded up crack in it too.

Mike, you might be right on the field repair – nevertheless somebody drives that car nowadays …..
Welding wise the original chassis’ from 1969 didn’t look that great at all – TIG welding then was not what it is today.
I hope the following link works and shows you the chassis of 917 LH-69..
Weiterleitungshinweis
or a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C5dLpDPk9c

Markus

Graham,

What do you mean by "...look at the welding on an original 917 tubular alloy space Frame"??

Is there something wrong?

;-)
Markus

Oh Marcus, your sense of humour is just like mine. These pictures were running repair welds, but the original frames also looked like they were suffering with piles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO.
Would not get behind the wheel of that.

My gut feeling is it will end badly.

Jim

Do not worry Jim, the rear end frame work was basically supporting the luggage trays and rear deck and is not stress bearing, so that "welding" would hold up OK.

Back