Wings, Wheels, and Keels Assorted discussions and build projects

Old 4th September 2017, 04:53 AM   #61
russell keach
Bronze Supporter
New Zealand

GT40: Mclaren M8b rep
Re: Back to the Future-Ron and Sydney's 1985 5L Mustang Build

Ron
Great project you have got going there, we are kind of heading in a similar direction with a DODGE DART 2 door that we bought out of the States many years ago. Was going to have a Viper motor shoe horned in but we sadly sold the car a couple of years ago as a rolling shell. Regrets were recently answered when that buyer put the car up for sale and my nephew went and bought it back. Never has a car had so much spent on it as we had painted it and fitted a full roll cage when it was sold it for $10.000.00. Well all we have bought back for $2500.00 is almost a slot car body....the entire chassis, fire wall and rear bulk head has been cut out to fit on a custom chassis. Its been well done with all the loose doors, bonnet, boot lid and trim in perfect condition....just waiting for some structure to mount it all on once father and son agree on what the outcome will look like...big block or small block....straight line or corners.
The real reason I started writing after reading your story was to ask if the photo specs when I am posting have changed. When I try and post pics 1600 x 1200, they get rejected and I am sure that I was previously able to.
Can you help thanks
Cheers Russell
russell keach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 07:25 AM   #62
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

GT40: None.

Max file size is 2048x1024 OR 976 KB. It is highly likely a JPEG that large is going to be over 976KB. Now, if the picture was full of large swaths of solid color it probably wouldn't, but a picture of a car, yeah. And, according to image calculators most 1600x1200 files will be over 976KB too if they have any color.

File Size Calculator

I think pictures should be more forum friendly anyhow. I keep mine to a small 640x480. Why? It's good enough to convey the information needed and not bog down people's internet connections. Need more detail for instruction? Get closer for the picture. Just my two cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron Earp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 10:18 PM   #63
Ryan Love
3 Tenths
Australia

GT40: Scratch Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
Some progress. Went to the Mustang Parts Superstore, aka, the storage space above the garage, and brought down two damaged transmissions we got from Dave Brown, Ford Guru Extraordinaire. We've got a lot of storage space above the garage, and a winch, but getting up there is a bit challenging for those of us that are vertically challenged, my daughter and I both. The stairs have almost kicked her ass more times than I can count.

We took apart the original box that was in the car. The PO indicated it was broken, but near as we can tell its in decent shape. It has damaged shift forks, a bit of an abrasion on a third gear tooth, but certainly serviceable. Sydney got the hang of the air tool and we took three boxes down to their component pieces with the help of Jeff G who helped out in the middle of the process.

The box shown on the left, the dirty one, is THE ORIGINAL box, the one that turned the wheels of the chariot while I ranged around the greater NC area.

The Dave Brown boxes are mostly toast but between the three we've got a good set of gears, countershaft, main shaft, and housings. We plan to build the new box using one of the later housings (the original box has the funky T5 reverse spring), and will stick with the 0.68 5th gear set instead of putting a better V6 0.73 5th gear in the box. We'll be using the 3.55 gears in the 8.8" axle so we might need a highway gear.

Ron, I think im about to head down a similar path with a T5. Are they an easy box to work on and will I need any particular tools? I have watched some of the youTube vids and I think I will cope with most of the stuff I have.
Ryan Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 07:13 AM   #64
ckouba
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: RCR40-31

Looks great Ron, and sounds like a dream project with the kiddo.

I've never been too gifted stylistically, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt, but have you thought about the blacked-out chrome treatment? Looking at your pics, the chrome almost seems out of place (to me):

Painting the window/door trim pieces would match them with the belt line strip. I had an 87 5.0 LX coupe with all its trim painted and thought it looked pretty good.

Not mine, but an exact copy of it:

Chris
RCR40 #31
ckouba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 08:28 AM   #65
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

GT40: None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Love View Post
Ron, I think im about to head down a similar path with a T5. Are they an easy box to work on and will I need any particular tools? I have watched some of the youTube vids and I think I will cope with most of the stuff I have.
T5s are easy. We have rebuilt seven or eight now with no problems. We do get the fifth gear strengthening plate from the guy in FL though as that will help save them and keep the countershaft in the box when put up against high torque loadings. You will need a press and an assortment of blocks, tubes, etc. to press things into place.

As for the blacked out treatment, we're staying old school on this car. I do think the blacked out and aero treatment looks good but it is more at home on the more rounded 87 and up Foxes. 85-86 SVO/GTs did have black trim, but, I am purposely wanting this car to remain LX. Same for the inside, the mirror buttons etc have silver trim and we'll keep it for now. Maybe she'll want to change it over later which we can easily do as we have probably most of the black trim from SVOs and GTs lying around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron Earp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, car, day, emblem, mustang