Can Am cars at Long Beach Grand Prix

Well it's taken me a while to start this thread but here we are. What an exciting event and what a great way to get vintage racing into the forefront at a race that may not attract the typical crusty vintage racing fan. Since the Toyota Celebrity Race has been nixed, the organizers did the right thing and added a Can Am exhibition to the weekend. All comments I heard were very positive. I am hoping they expand the event to include either more cars or another class (vintage F1) for next year. For now, I am very pleased to have seen these cars run in anger at what is one of the World's most beautiful street racing venues. I didn't think there was any car that could match the furious, guttural roar of a modern Cadillac CTSV-R (pre turbo), or C5,6,7R Corvette but boy was I wrong. The two fastest cars (1974 Shadow DN-4's) were an absolute religious experience echoing off the buildings of downtown and winding their way through the streets. Since attending the event starting in 1983 I have never experienced such a visceral spectacle, and that includes the looney Trans Am cars that used to run there. Fabulous. Photos to follow as soon as I figure it out...

Back