Want to buy an oil can (empty of course) - No Joke

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Talk about LOL. Somebody is selling a '70s era Ford oil can with the GT40 logo on it. Talk about going to extremes to capitalize on the GT40 craze. I guess the fact that this is on eBay somewhat confirms that GT40s are now officially the focus of a "Craze". All in all, I suppose that is a good thing for all of us who have been "into" GT40s from long before they became object of the latest automotive fad.

Be advised that, even for $10, that this can is not perfect; the seller states, "The can has no dents or dings, but there is some overall slight scuffing on the outside labeling. However, it does not detract from the beauty of this piece."(I just never thought of an oil can as a "piece".)

5d_1_b.JPG

Ron Earp

Admin
Man,
We had some of those around my house in the 70s for sure. I remember them. However, when I helped my dad changing oil we just chucked'em in the trash and put the used oil out in the yard pit. Wasn't too "green" in those days I don't think...My dad is going to like this one!

I can't remember the last time I saw an oil "can," I think the manufacturers switched to plastic bottles in the early 1980s.

As for disposal, I can't remember what my Dad used to do with waste oil, but I do remember using lots of gasoline to clean parts and dumping it in the back yard. We left a nice little environmental legacy at that house. Hey - it was New Jersey!

Ron Earp

Admin
I remember the oil cans well! When I "helped" my dad when I was around 9 or so I would always fucker those cans trying to stick the funnel into them!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Uh oh! terminolgy/translation dilemma--What's a fucker?? Ron
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Chris

Ron Earp

Admin
Opps, well, generally "to f*cker" something is the same as "to bugger" in English. Last time this happened it was when I was wanking on a pipe, which, means "to adjust through brute force" in the US but is totally different in the UK!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Just noticed - the censor must be off since it didn't catch that naughty word!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We've certainly made progress, no doubt about it; now we have oil good for only 3000 miles. Come back in another few decades, and we'll be able to buy oil that needs to be changed as soon as you put it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

Shame on you...would you want your daughter to hear you say "wanker"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is a whole group of people who collect oil cans...some years ago I sold a can of 70's Ford wax on eBay because it had the "ghosted GT40" on the can, I siold it as "genuine NOS GT40 wax" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The wonders of the information highway, an ass for every seat!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Re: Want to buy an oil can (empty of course) - No

Boy isn't that the truth, Rick? Not only that, but those asses will pay full retail for used stuff? I just don't get that. I figure that the competitive gene takes over when people are bidding. It's like a pack of lions fighting over an ankle bone while the hyena merrily munches on a liver. (With a nice Chianti) Someone paid $1930 for a used Dart block when there was a brand new one right there for $1999. Go figure. Same thing on an used electric valve for an Accusump; went for $97 when you can buy them all day long for $99. It's nuts!

Lynn

Brian Stewart
Supporter

And who would have believed a few years ago we'd be paying more for a litre of water than we do for a litre of petrol???

Here is a nice collection of "FORD GT 40" oil can from sweden, and they are not empty..... and certanly not for sale.
regards
ingvar

Attachments

• 35264-P4040062.JPG
    35264-P4040062.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 318
Back