BUYER BEWARE

Ok, Could not stand it.

I posed these questions to the 'owner'. We'll see what I get back on this doozie of a deal. Forgot the obvious one. Where is the car located. It says you are in Canada, but that the car is in the US!
----->
Would like to know more about the vehicle you have listed. You mention it has a 427 and a T44 transaxle. Who made the chassis? Most of those chassis (It is a Mark 1B only had 289's and ZF's. Who did the fabrication/assembelly work. Where was the transaxle sourced from? Very few T44's were ever made. Is the 427 a sie oiler or a center oiler? You mention it has Goodyear tires, but the pictures show Avon's.
Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Apparently this car is being sold by a woman(Liz Hogen).
Have any members/owners been fleeced in a divorce recently?
Any recently deceased?
That might explain the MKIV description about a MKI, and the lack of a reserve.
Perhaps she doesn't know, and doesn't care! If it's for real, I'll give $700 for it right now!
That could be the deal of the century!
Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Hard to say for sure, but that doesn't look like a T44 transaxle. They are very tall and squared off. While this one looks squarish, it doesn't look near tall enough.

They pulled the spec sheet for a MkIV from Supercars.net alright, problem is that the spec sheet doesn't match the pictured car.

Something smells a bit, no VERY, fishy in Canada, ehhh?

Lynn

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This thing reminds me of the Ebay scam I posted about here:
SCAM .
Lets wait and see if it is also pulled off by Ebay.
Regards Brian

All previous bids were cancelled. There are two new bidders

now, who have driven the price all the way up to $6.10!

This is like the lottery...a one in 100 million chance that

you'll actually be a winner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bill

I just checked the registration of my MK-IV (the one in the Pic surrounded by the babes) it's a 67 not a 68. I looked at the transmition it's a bit diferent than her's. The body looks a bit different as well as are the sway bars. The other car that the old chicken farmer is standing next to no longer runs and is a bit dusty not shiney like hers. When the only 6 MK-IV's in existance were last together I don't remember that shade of Blue...

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
They've been cancelled as well apparently. I just checked it (5:35PM 6/22) and there are 0 bids w/ $5.00 opening bit AND you now have to be pre-approved to bid. I guess you have to prove to them that you know squat about GT40s :)

I notice that the time left on the auction has continued to tick away though. This is hilarious verging on pathetic.

Regards,
Lynn

Just checked my e-mail. No response to any of the questions I sent them last night.

So, I guess they want the bidder pre-approved, but the vehicle appears to be vapor-ware.

Lynn, agreed...a new low in e-Bay sales.

If there are any attorney’s who are members, what would my recourse be if I bid, and the merchandise was not delivered? By recourse, I mean legitimate recourse (what could I really expect to recover—anything?) and legal recourse, what could legally be done to attempt to compensate for a scam attempt e.g., no merchandise to meet the requirements of the posting. Net net, is it worth me gambling 5.00 or more, or would I be laughed off the face of the Earth if I attempted any legal action?

I’m thinking I could spend 5.00 on this instead of the Texas Lotto!

Looks rather like the seller is attempting to impose a reserve price without using the eBay reserve mechanism - I presume there is a charge for doing a reserve? *Or* the seller is trying to sell it outside of eBay by getting a list of potential buyers but refusing to approve them. Then perhaps contacting them after the auction is closed and offering (more than one!) the opportunity to buy the car & not delivering. Buyers think they are getting a deal but lose any eBay fraud protection...

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
We'll see Steve. I requested permission to bid and have had no reply. With the car now gone, I don't expect to. If I do hear anything, I'll post it here.

Lynn

I sent I heads-up to e-Bay fraud protection, and they gave me a 'stock' reply. Guess they took a minute to look into it. I also never received a reply on my inquiry to the owner.

Here's the deal:

"Hello there,
My name is Liz Hogen and i am glad about your interest in hearing details about my item.First of all i wanna tell you some details regarding to the car and the way we can complete a transaction .
Since november 2002 i am located in UK where i tried to develop a business down here in London but unfortunately the things didn't work the way i expected and now i really need cash because i am at one step to lose my restaurant from here ,so i decided to sell the car.Because i wanna deal as soon as possible i am ready to cover the shipping costs and insurance.
The shipping will be made using FeDex Air Service and the car will be at your door 4 days later.I also can use Lufthansa Airplane Cargo insured for the delivering and in this case three days later you will have the car in front of your house.
The car is presenting in a very good condition,no damage or defects ,it looks just the way showed by my presentation .I am the first owner of this and i bought it from a local dealer,it will come with all the documentations required for registration ,it is a us model with us specs and so on.
I realise that is a cheap price for such a product but my special situation makes me do things that i would't do in normal circumstances and belive me it is not easy at all for me to sell a thing which was one of my dreams during last years
So if you are ready to pay the buy it now price 7000$, shipping and insurance included we will deal right now,and for you to trust me I will open a case at Square Trade (which I'm affiliate with)This service will warrantee I'm a serious seller and this transaction will be cover by Square Trade(they will return 100% your money back if something happened on the rood)
All you have to do is to make the payment for the total amount using money
transfer-western union.The payment will be make in cash and the amount that
you have to send it is 7000$ all you have to do is to find a western union local office and go there with the money in cash and with my name and address.Afther this you email me the following informations:
MTCN:(money transfer control number)
corect sender name and address
corect receiver name and address
fix amount that you have send it..
To aviod fees from Federal Express and from Western Union all we have to do is:
ME--i have to declare the item as a gift for you and in this way you will pay NO costum fees and you will receive the item very fast.
YOU--have to declare at Western Union that you send the money to a relative in London that need this money, in this way when our deal will be finished and i get the money from W.U.they will not gone ask me 10% from the total amount that you have send it, they will gone ask me just 3% or 4%.(ALL OF THIS ONLY IF YOU AGREE)
Please let me know when you can make the payment so I can manage my time for the deal.
BEST REGARDS:
Liz Hogen
ADDRESS:319 Kentish Road
CITY:London
ZIP CODE:NW5-2TJ

...............................So who is going to give this lovely lady £7000 for a GT40, delivered to your door?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike,

Why don't you jusr call her up and tell her that you are local and will be happy to save her from having to deal with the shipping & Western Union costs. Better yet, go knck on her door, and see what she says. Wouldn't THAT be fun! You can tell us what the car looks like as well!

Liz,
Thanks so much for your response. I am verry intrested and as you can imagine not real keen on buying the car sight un seen. Would it be possible to have my represenitive in the UK to come buy and have a look at the car. It would make me fel better about the deal.
Thanks
Nathan
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: Message from eBay Member

Hello there,
My name is Liz Hogen and i am glad about your interest in hearing details about my item.First of all i wanna tell you some details regarding to the car and the way we can complete a transaction .
Since november 2002 i am located in UK where i tried to develop a business down here in London but unfortunately the things didn't work the way i expected and now i really need cash because i am at one step to lose my restaurant from here ,so i decided to sell the car.Because i wanna deal as soon as possible i am ready to cover the shipping costs and insurance.
The shipping will be made using FeDex Air Service and the car will be at your door 4 days later.I also can use Lufthansa Airplane Cargo insured for the delivering and in this case three days later you will have the car in front of your house.
The car is presenting in a very good condition,no damage or defects ,it looks just the way showed by my presentation .I am the first owner of this and i bought it from a local dealer,it will come with all the documentations required for registration ,it is a us model with us specs and so on.
I realise that is a cheap price for such a product but my special situation makes me do things that i would't do in normal circumstances and belive me it is not easy at all for me to sell a thing which was one of my dreams during last years
So if you are ready to pay the buy it now price 7000$, shipping and insurance included we will deal right now,and for you to trust me I will open a case at Square Trade (which I'm affiliate with)This service will warrantee I'm a serious seller and this transaction will be cover by Square Trade(they will return 100% your money back if something happened on the rood)
All you have to do is to make the payment for the total amount using money
transfer-western union.The payment will be make in cash and the amount that
you have to send it is 7000$ all you have to do is to find a western union local office and go there with the money in cash and with my name and address.Afther this you email me the following informations:
MTCN:(money transfer control number)
corect sender name and address
corect receiver name and address
fix amount that you have send it..
To aviod fees from Federal Express and from Western Union all we have to do is:
ME--i have to declare the item as a gift for you and in this way you will pay NO costum fees and you will receive the item very fast.
YOU--have to declare at Western Union that you send the money to a relative in London that need this money, in this way when our deal will be finished and i get the money from W.U.they will not gone ask me 10% from the total amount that you have send it, they will gone ask me just 3% or 4%.(ALL OF THIS ONLY IF YOU AGREE)
Please let me know when you can make the payment so I can manage my time for the deal.
BEST REGARDS:
Liz Hogen
ADDRESS:319 Kentish Road
CITY:London
ZIP CODE:NW5-2TJ

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifHere is the reply that i recieved and my answer to her we will see what she says now.
Nathan

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Another Romanian Scam. There is no such road as Kentish Road in the area and if its Kentish Town Road then the area is Camden and that is NW18 so the post code is garbage as well.
If Ebay are serious about preventing this sort of crap, they haven't done much about it as they have had serious evidence of this sort of Romanian internet fraud laid before them countless times, and still it goes on.
Dave M

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I also sent a request for info and got nothing - perhaps when I said I was in London and would hand cash over on collecton she started running.

Ian

Back