WARNING! ebay/Paypal scam

FYI,

I don't know whether this is common knowledge, old news or not, but
there is currently an e-mail circulating, purporting to be from ebay/Paypal, which asks for updated personal account info. This IS a scam, not rumor. The website that you are directed to, looks EXACTLY like ebay (These guys did their homework), but don't be fooled. The site asks for a Social Security # and checking account routing numbers. A friend of mine was midway through "updating" her info, when bells began to ring. She checked with the REAL ebay, before going any further, and they confirmed that this e-mail/website is a scam. The REAL ebay never asks for this "updated" information. My friend was lucky. Apparently, quite a few victims have been severely hosed!
Identity theft should be be a hanging offense!

Ron Earp

Admin
True. Ebay issued something that basically said they they would not be verifying any updated info. I've gotten it a bunch of times, but it is because I'm running lots of auctions, around 10 a week. Likely if you don't bid much or run auctions you'll not run across it.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Guys and Gals,

I have personally had close to a dozen of these. But, don't only be on the lookout for PayPal scams. I have had them from Nations Bank, Bank of America and several other financial institutions like insurance companies and any company that might have information about you. If you get ANY email asking you to update information, NO MATTER HOW AUTHENTIC IT LOOKS, contact that institution directly to determine if you have received a phishing email. Yes they even have a name for it since it has become so wide spread.

If you suspect a phishing email, you can forward it to [email protected], the Federal Trade Commision. If it is specific to Pay Pal, send it to [email protected]. Pay Pal will send you a return email telling you if you have been the subject of a phishing exercise.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Here is an example of a phishing email supposedly from Capital One. Sorry for the quality had to make if fit, right click on the doc and select View Image for a readable version:

Attachments

• 47125-CaitalOnePhishing.gif
    47125-CaitalOnePhishing.gif
    60.3 KB · Views: 303
And the strangest thing is that when you recieve one of these scam ebay emails, cut and paste it onto a new email and send it to ebay customer services to verify if its kosher or not they dont even bother to send you an answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you forward any suspected ebay or paypal email to spoof@ebay/paypal.co.uk you will recieve a reply and they tell you if you have given any information to change all your passwords. I have had countless numbers of these supposedly from ebay/paypal. I either forward them or delete. Dire consequences are promised if you dont give all your details, JUST IGNORE THEM.
Regards
Murray

i sent ebay 3 messages this week re a scam, and they promptly replied to all. they do know what side their bread is buttered on.

Back