New Audi 01E Six Speed

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

As a heads up, I plan to put my 01E up for sale on Ebay sometime later this week. I will update this post when it goes up for auction, but here are the details:

- New 01E six speed transaxle (Audi factory new, never installed)
- Code FRK 31:8 final drive (3.88)
- New Quaife LSD
- Right hand shift mechanism

All work performed by forum member Jerry Jansing of AllPro cars.

I know that it is unlikely that I can recover my original costs now that there are very few RFs in the US that can take advantage of this transaxle (thus my decision to use ebay), but you can see the original cost of the transaxle/Quaife/shifter mods in the last image below.

Best Regards,

Al

Attachments

• 01E-front.jpg
    01E-front.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 454
  • 01E-bottom.jpg
    01E-bottom.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 463
  • 01E-rear.jpg
    01E-rear.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 459
  • 01E-shifter.jpg
    01E-shifter.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 01E-Check.jpg
    01E-Check.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 460

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dean,

Opinions vary, but definitely less than a ZF. 400 HP/TQ is probably the upper limit (with no burnouts). If you search the forum for 01E or O1E you will find a lot of threads on this topic. It will not bolt up to an SBF without an adapter plate etc.

Regards,

Al

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
There is some contention as to how much this box can handle, although some estimates I have heard are in the order of 500HP - 400Ft/Lbs. It is certainly more robust than the Audi 016 box and there are many that have over 350HP with that arrangement.
As far as connecting it to a SBF, an adaptor plate is required and there are numerous places that you can obtain one from, such as Kennedy Engineering (don't have details). See photo below.

Sorry for the double up, Al beat me to it.

Regards
Bill.

Attachments

• engine 01 (Medium).JPG
    engine 01 (Medium).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

I've had a couple of forum members ask me about shipping costs from the US to Australia for this trans, and I have gotten rate quotes that run from $350-$900.

If anyone has a recommendation or experience regarding a specific carrier to use (or not to use) to ship this trans I would greatly appreciate it. As an FYI, this trans weighs 138 lbs unboxed.

Thanks,

Al

Back