What looks odd?

There was a kit made in the UK by Dax? that was 2" taller in the cabin. It didnt do anything for me being a GT42. The proportions were all wrong. If memory serves the project was sold to a guy who died in a plane crash before he could do much with it. Others with better memories might correct me on this. Cheers, Kev.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
p. The front and rear clip do look different. I'm sure someone will enlighten as to what it is.

Kev, it's not a Dax, of which there are a few on the forum (including mine). Yes the Dax is 1.5 to 2" higher, but its body shape is very well proportioned such that the difference is hard to spot. The giveaway is the increased distance from the sill to the inlet near the rear clip bottom latches.

Dave

Attachments

• castlefords.jpg
    castlefords.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 393
Dave, I stand corrected. Apologies if I touched a nerve, its becoming a habit lately. Now I`ve been reminded what yours looks like its obviously very different from the ebay car. I`ve no idea what it is. Kev

I wonder if it is a Lone Star Classics GT40 replica, originally out of Texas. The headlight covers look longer than usual, which makes me think of the Lone Star cars. They came back with a rotary-engined car but originally had V-8s I think.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Kev,

Dave, I stand corrected. Apologies if I touched a nerve, its becoming a habit lately. Now I`ve been reminded what yours looks like its obviously very different from the ebay car. I`ve no idea what it is. Kev

Not at all Kev, no nerves to touch, they were all shot to hell a while ago:laugh: sorry if I come across as a grumpy old git which I sometimes am - according to the wife.

Dave

Hi,
I think its a really good fiero replica, I build one of those but did not do the door conversion, mine looked like this.
Bob

Last edited:
I wonder if it is a Lone Star Classics GT40 replica, originally out of Texas. The headlight covers look longer than usual, which makes me think of the Lone Star cars. They came back with a rotary-engined car but originally had V-8s I think.
That is what it is, according to the guy trying to sell it. In a email to me he said it was a Lone Star Prototype that wouldn't pencil out at a profit. I didn't ask anymore questions as it doesn't have air.

From what I remember Lone Star only made 1 V8 GT 40. I believe the car was made a little bigger all around (wider, taller, and longer). The car was originally blue and I had an opportunity to drive it about 10 years ago. Roger (the current owner) had built a Cobra at the time and wanted the car so he traded his Cobra for it. The Kit was offered for some time but with little interest and no sales. I think the kit price was around 60k. Somewhere around here I still have the original brochure from Lone Star and Pics of the car when it was first built.

I was offered that car about 10 years ago for $20,000. Did not look like an original like the CAV that I finally purchased.

JOSEPH

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
The windshield lower lines and door line where it meets the front clip are hard to see, but the rear clip and view through the door look very similar to the old Kellison car that was adapted by a few companies later on. It also appears to have no side windows. I think it's last incarnation was as the T3 or something like that. The front door edge and windshield lines were modified in later versions, but that door and rear clip have very similar lines. It may be one of the later versions or even a modified Kellison car. For the 20K, I guess the engine and transaxle would about be worth it. Not enough pics of other areas, suspensions, interior to be very precise. Maybe that's the reason.If you google Kellison GT40, there are a bunch of pics of cars that are or were being built, one had a 302 and one looks as if it was built on a Fiero chassis. There again...to few pics.

Last edited:
Rumor has it this prototype was built for Lone Star by the famous (infamous ?) George Cochrane of exhaust system fame.

I believe the George Cochrane chassis wound up as the Turn Ten Racing/D&D mule.
At least I recall Mike Duell had bought it, and somewhere on this site he mentions
that they took a mould off the GT Supercars body.

Ian

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
According to this link to a Kit Car article;

Ford Gt40 Ls40 Photo

MikeDD had the correct LS40 designation. It is apparently taller AND wider. Funny that the seller claimed that there was a lack of headroom....seats must be really thick.

Back