ZF on Ebay

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
What does it cost to flip one of these over to GT40 conformation? And what does it cost to major-overhaul one, if all the basic bits inside are intact? Any ideas?

What does it cost to flip one of these over to GT40 conformation? And what does it cost to major-overhaul one, if all the basic bits inside are intact? Any ideas?

Last time I checked, it cost about $1200 to just crack the case open and reassemble everything; that doesn't count any needed parts. If you get lucky you might get away with just replacing a 2nd gear synchro which isn't that expensive. There are some bearings in there that are ZF-specific and they cost a fortune.

You should budget a minimum of about $1500 to have a gearbox gone through, but that's an unrealistically low number. Mine cost just over $3000 when I had it done by Dennis Quella in 1993, for my Pantera. I've heard of real basket-case gearboxes costing upwards of $5000 to set right--and that doesn't count the GT40 flip conversion.

There are different methods used to flip the gearbox for running in the GT40 orientation. Not all shops do the same level of work, from what I understand from Lloyd Butfoy. He says he does some extra, needed things which adds to the time and thus the expense. I don't know what the extra time required is to do the GT40 flip, but would WAG it as being a $1000 operation above and beyond everything else???

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
New top case, machine new oil drain plug, check/replace all components and wire the pinion gear bolts (dont want a bolt flying around inside there).

Probably other mods for oil cooler input output, and if I recall correctly it needs machining of the main casing to allow correct oil flow to the bearings, maybe a new oil gallery... this obviously needs a full disassembly, machine work and then full assembly.

Did I miss anything?

Andy

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
The ERA manual details the steps required and there's a version without the follow along photo's available for free download at their website. They will sell you the full version for $30.

Lloyd is the only one I have heard of doing the 'extra' mods, but then again he is the ZF guru. From what I understand most of the Pantera vendors offering the 'flip' service follow the ERA method. I haven't heard of any failures from people following the simpler (less $$) method. The most difficult part is drilling the drain back holes, but armed with a right angle drill it can be done from the R&P side without a full tear down. Just be sure to flush thoroughly before fitting the new top plate.

The GBP exchange rate is swinging back in our (US) favor, down to 1.5 recently, which once again makes a new ZFQ look attractive against a used or new ZF. The former is brand new, ready to drop in and comes with a 3.75 R&P for around $10K.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Still cheap at just over 1 day to go. Unless sterling crashes completely, I might just bid for it at those sort of prices and if I get it, pop over and bring it back as my baggage.
Bring back Concorde - half a working day in NY and home by 2200hrs.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Still cheap at just over 1 day to go. Unless sterling crashes completely, I might just bid for it at those sort of prices and if I get it, pop over and bring it back as my baggage.
Bring back Concorde - half a working day in NY and home by 2200hrs.

True, bidding is low but the reserve is not met, so currently bears no relation as to what you can actually buy it for.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Julian,
Of course I cannot imagine it would be any where near the current price when the time expires. Any guesses as a guidline?
regards
Dave

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Julian,
Of course I cannot imagine it would be any where near the current price when the time expires. Any guesses as a guidline?
regards
Dave

2hrs to go and it's at $4K, which IMHO is about all it's worth as a box that has been stored for 30 yrs. Yes the winner may get lucky and get a very good box, but if it hasn't been stored with oil and rotated regularly you may also find internal rust, it's a craps shoot. With 50M miles on it, it certainly wants checking internally and maybe a syncro or two changed out whilst in there, plus the obligatory safety wiring and flipping etc. That could easily be another $4K right there, whereby you've almost spent equivalent to a new ZFQ.

Do you feel lucky?

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
You never know what's up until the box is open. Rebuilding the ZF in my '73 Pantera cost 6K. Work done by Dennis Quella, Pantera Performance, Castle Rock, Colorado. The only symptom was a little bit of grinding going into second gear. One of those "no problem - I can live with that" type of deals. However, when the box was opened up, the picture changed quite a bit. Needed a gear, synchros, etc.

Back