GT40 Mk1 by Superformance. Guardsman Blue/white stripes

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There is another SPF MkII below it which is also $150k. If mine went on the market today it would be $175k. When one adds up the time and money they have into these cars to get them properly sorted and mechanically perfect, that is still a bargain. There is an old saying that holds true... You get what you pay for. When someone says they think a price is high that simply means they are not a buyer that is all. There are Ford GTs selling for $375k right now. I would not pay that. That has no bearing on what the cars are worth.

A carbed car with the same motor is going to cost in the region of 155-160k to build today. Add more for some trick piece or injection.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
There is an old saying that holds true... You get what you pay for.

There is another old saying that we in the value business give considerable weight...........

The principle of substitution:

A prudent buyer would not pay more than the cost to build new.

If for less money they could purchase the same items, new, with factory updates and original paint...............

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
While I can appreciate your position Jim I have complete confidence that the more meticulous and demanding buyers will much prefer the $25k higher quality paint work on my car to that which came from the factory just as I am sure they will prefer the attention to detail and hundreds of hours I have invested in my car mechanically as compared to other cars like yours. This assumes I would ever sell which is unlikely but I do sleep well at night knowing all this. Some of us just have higher standards than others I suppose...

Back