CAV GT40 at Barrett Jackson

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
They just don't seem to do well at auction, I assume as the car appeals to a minority and doesn't really have collector investment value.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Who sells their GT40 at auction unless you just need to dump it? Especially at that auction...

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I agree. Selling at a no reserve auction is a bad idea for any car that appeals to a unique buyer market.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I can't think of a worse venue to market a specialty replica/continuation type car. You are offering to a "bottom feeder" type buyer, the guy who came for a Chevelle SS396 and says "hey, I have $XXXXXX left in my pocket, maybe I'll pick up a toy"

Typically replica/continuation cars that are NOT 427 Cobras with some sort of "Carroll Shelby" connection, no matter how tenuous/thin/bogus, don't do well at the Arizona auctions. The auction companies often over describe the cars and likely scare off some buyers.

Now outside the auction it is different. Hillbank displays in the lot and sells a bunch of cars for well more than they would go for on the block. Go figure..................

These auctions are a great place to pick up a street rod at a huge discount or a muscle car restoration at 50% off the cost of restoration. Having owned a restoration shop I cringe when I see a car with a $75K resto bill sell for $60K. You effectively got the car free only paying the restoration.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I understand they sold two resale GT40s but don't know which ones they were. Watch their website for a few days and see which cars are marked "sold"

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Watch their website for a few days and see which cars are marked "sold"

Yeah, I intend to do that. I'd already checked around 3:30 p.m. or so today, and there was no "sold" banner on the photo. That's why, given the delay it sometime takes for companies to update their websites, I decided to see if you might already know what-was-what.

Back