Track Day

MWGT40

Supporter
I would like to get together a group of GT40s for a track day in the spring. Can you let me know who would be interested and what tracks are preferred, and also preferred months. I will collate the info, choose the most popular venue and then see if there are any existing events that we can tag onto or, if sufficient demand, to hire the track exclusively for us.

Post on the forum or email me if interested.

Thanks, Martin

G

Hi Martin

I am going to Donnington on 29th April for a Willie Green day. Cost is £250 for day. It is an open pit lane ie no sessions but then no real limits on number of cars out at a time. Normally though it is fine as on Willie Green days you get slightly higher quality of cars and drivers.

The circuit is the national circuit so all that is missed out is the long loop (Melbourne Loop?) which only kills your brakes so I am not worried about that.

Malcolm

Martin,

I'd certailey be interested, altho it's unlikely my 40 will be trackworthy.

I'd be happy to come along with my Lotus & can probably bring a couple of local friends.

Martin,

Not sure what the limit will be on that particular day, but Donnington is more 'noise friendly' than most.

Noise readings are taken from a static microphone situated on the pit wall. If you have a really noisy car the easy fix is to back off the throttle on the straight!

This is opposed to most circuits now using a hand held noise meter on a half-metre long stick. These are much stricter & lots of people have trouble getting a car to pass.

Donnington is also in close proximity to a major airport which sould be viewed as an advantage!

G

Hi Martin

I do not know the exact noise limit per se, but I have been before without porblems. I run a 1.75 inch cross over system supplied by GTD for reference. I would re pack it before I went though. I doubt you should have problems but you need to be sure as they don't give refunds.

There are actually a couple of meters around the circuit but I am not sure where the others are. For the one on the pit wall, it is obvious but you could always just hang the back end of the car out from the corner leading onto that straight so the tail pipes point away.

Or consider that once I was up there and there was a Porcshe 904 (I think) and one of his pipes fell off. They didn't pull him in straight away. That was much louder than our cars normally are.

Malcolm

G

In case anyone was going to go to Donnington and expected me to take the 40, I should advise that now I am taking Wendy's Lotus 51 up as whilst she can't fit in it (baby!) I am allowed out in it. Also I am testing at Goodwood a few days before in the 40 as we have two competitive events there this year and I really need to practice, if I am going to kick Paul's butt!

Malcolm

Back