Aus. Comp '06

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Re: Aus. Comp \'06

Sprints,Rallies,Hillclimbs,Motokanas,Racing,Drags etc
A great way to spend a weekend pushing your shiney new creation to its limits - and get yourselves off the streets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
18/2/06 Sat arvo sprints (SAS) @ QR
19/2/06 Top Gear Racing @ QR
25-26/2/06 Racing @ QR state champs
4-5/3/06 Super sprints 'A' @ MP (morgan park warwick Qld)
25-26/3/06 Super sprints 'B' @ MP
1/4/06 SAS @ QR
9/4/06 State champs @ MP
22/4/06 SAS @ QR
23/4/06 Top gear race @ QR
30/4/06 Historics @ MP
6-7/5/06 SS 'A' @ MP
20/5/06 SAS @ QR
21/5/06 TG racing @ QR
3-4/6/06 AMRS sports cars 1 hour enduro @ QR
3-4/6/06 SS 'B' @ MP
10-12/6/06 The Inaugural "Roma Trophy"street sprints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

A great weekend had by all. You can't beat the sound of a bunch of Ford V8s roaring around a race track in full song. I'm still trying to wipe the silly grin off my face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Gotta get some of that sticky rubber on my wheels though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Hooked Huh!
Sticky rubber?--AND comp brake pads,oil coolers,better shockers,etc,etc all designed to blow your budget /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

What a fantastic weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Went down to support my brother in his Cobra(and of course the other QLD guys).

It was good to meet some of the RF GT40 guys down there, like Chris above. Pretty disappointing GT40 turn out though, with only 4 turning up and 2 competing on the weekend. Good to see a representative from RF there, although I missed out on a chance to talk with him. Actually never had a lot of time to chat with any of them.

I did get to chat to lots of the Cobra guys.

About 18hrs driving in each direction to get to/from the event. A long way to go.

[ QUOTE ]
Sticky rubber?--AND comp brake pads,oil coolers,better shockers,etc,etc all designed to blow your budget

[/ QUOTE ]

All stuff I don't need I tell myself. The car is plenty fast I say... that is, until that car ahead of me starts to pull away slowly, and then I can't get to the wallet quickly enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamed.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Good to see you didn't have any g/box trouble this year Chris.I see it took a twin turbo'd, Lexus/Cobra to beat my time from last year by a little.I was a naughty boy and had slicks on though didn't I.You'll go quicker with Yokohama AO32Rs Chris but theyr'e not good in the wet,especially when the shallow grooves wear down.Should be worth 2-4 secs a lap in the dry though.My car will go well at Winton with it's new trans (lower ratios)to come out of those slow corners.I'm keeping my motor swap on hold to find out if lap time improves at Sandown in April.Hey Flatchat when are you getting a new car?

Regards Ross

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Can't say yet Ross--it's a secret /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
A big weekend at Phillip Island (10-13/2/06)"historics",I think there's a GT40 running and a GT40s display---so look out for PR from Qld and see that he does't get into any trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I see it took a twin turbo'd, Lexus/Cobra to beat my time from last year by a little.
Regards Ross

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah come on, it's only got 1 big turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Really is an impressive effort when you consider it was first time on the track in turbo form, it's street registered/approved and normally driven to/from events. It only puts out around 320rwhp.

I know I couldn't peddle that Cobra around that track like my brother can. He really has got it sorted, although I know there are improvements to be made.

My brother also managed 12.067 @ 120MPH over the 1/4 mile, just before heading down to Winton.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

These cars would be comanding centre stage for me at PI--- The GT40,Lolas T70 Mk3b / T610 and the Porsche 962c with the drivers John Bowe,Vern Schupan, Wayne Park and Rob Sherrard all playing swapsie -- Brilliant!

Attachments

• 74352-RaceFlags.jpg
    74352-RaceFlags.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 721

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Went down to Philip Island today in the Europa.Spoke to Peter Ransom for quite a while.Old 1109 wasn't going too well only doing 1min 50sec lap times I would have blown it's doors off.Must be off song as it was going ok last year.They were doing pit walks and discussing the cars,good Idea.I joined in on one of the tours.Sorry Craig about the Turbo thing, although one big one is as good as 2 smaller ones isn't it?I really like that Lexus V8 motor maybe I should have put one in the Europa instead of the Toyota 20valve but I have to say the Europa is now very quick.Pity about the lack of brakes. There is an upgrade coming.I'm a bit sunburnt from the great day, the only draw back was the time spent crawling along in the traffic jam on the return trip.

Ross

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Thanks Ross-- tell me about those traffic jams again--just to remind me why I left Vic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
What happened with the sports cars ?? seemed to be a few DNFs.
What about this "Lotus Toyopa" thingy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Yes Pete I paid $20 for this photo of 1109 so I hope you like it.I didn't have my camera or there would be more.Chris I would refer to the Europa as a Toyotus.Basically I'm in the Lotus club down here and I booked to go driving with them in Tassie this Easter as has Tim in his 40.Anyway I bought a Lotus Europa last year with a blown Renault motor. How sad 90hp.Now after building a GT40 I've got a handle on this mid engine transaxle thingy so I decided to put in a Toyota 4age 20 valve motor with 165hp now that's more like it.Anyway as it turns out the motor is a lot more powerful than the cars brakes so work to do before the trip.Great fun though and the conga line traffic jam test for overheating yesterday, gave me confidence it is reliable.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

photo of 1109 don't know who's driving though not a bad colour don't you think?

Attachments

• 74521-1109atPIhistorics.jpg
    74521-1109atPIhistorics.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 802

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Ross, a great colour and the right number also. Thanks for posting it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Close to a Million dollars of GT40ii rampaged a small country Qld town for breakfast yesterday followed by a customery jog through the picturesque countryside,enduring soaring temperatures---I guess with all that horse power going to waste that the air conditioners were working to the max. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif aye Pete?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Actually Chris, I was very pleased because the coolant temp never went over 80C the entire trip. And yes, the air conditioner worked great as did the cruise control. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif
BTW where were you?
Ask P.R. about the big bet he had. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

P.S.
Horse power never goes to waste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back