Body prep and paint training event

I've decided I'm going to paint my GT40 and I want to get some training on paint prep and application. It's been about 27 years since I've sprayed a car and to say I'm a little rusty is an understatement. Both Dupont and PPG put on training classes that are geared toward auto-body technicians, and I've heard that attending one of these courses can be a huge benefit to the amateur kit-car painter.

I contacted a helpful guy at the PPG training center near Hartford, CT who said their Certtification 21 course usually has 16-20 people, is about 50-50 hands-on versus classroom and product description, and that due to the size of the classes, you'd have to be the guy volunteering all the time to get a lot of hands-on paint application experience. So I asked him if he could do a customized training session geared specifically to our needs - amateur car builders who need to prep and paint a fiberglass body. He said that he could, and that we would need about 8+ people to make it feasible. The cost would be the same as their regular course, which I believe is $100/day. I assume we would want a two-day training course. We would focus on fiberglass prep and paint and with 8 students there would be lots of hands-on activities. I think this could be the best $200 we spend on our cars.

I wanted to gauge interest in participating in a training course like this. I figure we could round up local (northeast) GT40 builders, as well as Cobra builders. I would like to do the training some time this summer - preferably July.

What say ye? Any interest? Please respond to me in this thread or email me at mark_worthington at charter dot net if you are interested.

Thank you.

Ron Earp

Admin
Might be interested in this myself, especially if members could get together and save on housing for two nights in the area.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

You may want to see if the course can be tailored to include the guidecoating, filling etc. required to ensure you have a straight fiberglass body as a foundation for your paint. The PPG custom painting class I took (many years ago) did not cover this topic even though it did cover general (post bodywork) prep topics.

Note that PPG has a nice publication that describes topics of general interest and new product capabilities. You can check it out here:

http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmRpntRptr.asp

Regards,

Al

I might be interested.

I am planning to build a Cobra replica and would like to do my own body work. Since I have no body work experience, this might be perfect for me. I am still "on the fence" about painting it myself (primarily because of the need for a big compressor, and a spray booth).

-Jon A.

I've firmed up the schedule with PPG in Hartford, CT. The earliest firm dates I could get are August 1 and 2 (Tuesday and Wednesday). The course fee is $100/day, which includes all materials and supplies, lunch, donuts, etc., exclusive of lodging. We should get a lot of hands-on paint application time. I am in the process of coordinating this with a local jobber...we pre-pay the jobber and he gets billed by PPG. I should have the jobber's contact and payment information figured out in a day or two.

At this point I need people to commit to the time, date and cost so I can get a final head count. Reply on this thread and/or email me at mark dot worthington at gmail dot com if you want can commit to the training.

Peter, Jon A, Ron and Fernando, please send me an email (mark dot worthington at gmail dot com) so I have your email address and can email you additional information. Thanks.

Al

You make a great point....the actual painting of the car
is but a small percent of the quality of the outcome.

The bodywork and prep is by far the largest time portion of painting...if that's wrong, nothing else matters.

Second... a booth is needed for best results. I've sprayed several
cars in my garage and I guarantee you will get small defects in the paint...and not all can be removed. If you're OK with that, then there's nothing wrong with this approach.

However I think for the cost involved....I'll be taking my next car to a shop
and let a pro spray in their booth. Since all panels (except maybe the spider)
can be sprayed off the car, you can even do some of the masking ahead of time.

All the shop need do is final inspect/prep and shoot the color...two days
work unless you're going for something fancy. Most shops in my area charge
$ 60/hr....cost around $ 1,000 plus materials.

Just another option to consider.

MikeD

Back