SAAC At VIR Next Weekend, July 1,2

Ron Earp

Admin
How many folks heading to VIR for that weekend? I might shoot up on Friday, June 30th. Just wondering if some other forum members might be around?

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
I'll try and find you then, with any luck. What color is the Pantera? Anyone else from the forum heading up?

Ron

I may go up to see a few of the cars. I know a lot of people that will be staying the entire weekend.

I decided not to take my race car for the vintage race due to the 1/2 course lay-out.

It is certainly hot and dry. You should pack your sunscreen and coolsuit.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Ron Earp said:
What color is the Pantera?
Ron

Technically, it's black but look for the bling:

attachment.php

Saac Vir

I will be doing SAAC national judging of the concours Cobra and competition race car classes on Saturday. And be every where else during the event. Rex

saac at vir

, I'll be there from fri to sunday. should be set up with HRE motor cars . Look for #52 gardsman blue cav. there will be at lease three of us in gt40's racing. look forwood to meeting up.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm going to try to get up there as I'd like to meet you fellows face to face that I've been conversing with over the last few years. VIR has a nice pub on premises, VIR Club, and maybe we can grab a beer when everything shuts down. There is also the food bar that has decent food and some brew too, located there at turn 3-4 and is a good place to watch some action.

R

Ron Earp said:
VIR has a nice pub on premises, VIR Club, and maybe we can grab a beer when everything shuts down. There is also the food bar that has decent food and some brew too, located there at turn 3-4 and is a good place to watch some action.
Ron,
The VIR Club is a private club and may not be available to non-members during this event. I'd respectively suggest an alternative plan in case it is unavailable.

It is my understanding that the full course circuit will not be used at this event. The snack hut is at full course T-3/T-4 and may not have any cars on it. I understand that they are utilizing the South Course for the O/T and race groups?
Full course = 3.27 miles
South = 1.65 miles
North Course = 2.25 miles

The North Course has the larger paddock (full course paddock) which could be better suited to the large number of show cars while the smaller South paddock (just below Oak Tree turn [T-11a]) may be better suited for the smaller race crowd.

I am sure the large area around the hospitality pavilion (just south of the snack hut) will also house a large number of show cars. It is also near the heliport for those of you that will fly your helicopter into the event. :D
Doc

My car leading down roller coaster (T-14/14a) at VIR:
VIR

Trying to stay in front of a fast Falcon:

VIR

Ron Earp

Admin
Doc said:
Ron,
The VIR Club is a private club and may not be available to non-members during this event. I'd respectively suggest an alternative plan in case it is unavailable.

It is my understanding that the full course circuit will not be used at this event. The snack hut is at full course T-3/T-4 and may not have any cars on it. I understand that they are utilizing the South Course for the O/T and race groups?
Full course = 3.27 miles
South = 1.65 miles
North Course = 2.25 miles

Dang, I didn't know they were only running the South course. In fact, I've never run just the South course there. I've run the Grand (4.1 miles), Full, and North configurations but the South deal is short it appears.

The Club *usually* is open to anyone that walks in unless they have a special event going on there. They need the business and lots of racers can provide it for sure. But, nonetheless if we all meet up we can easily go somewhere nearby. There is a pretty good diner about 2 miles away, and there is a really good Mexican resturant in Roxsboro, about 15-18 miles away.

Nice pictures there BTW! I think I have seen that Camaro/Firebird behind you out at Roebling road before if I'm not mistaken. What motor are you running and what was in the Falcon?

R

Ron

The Club *usually* is open to anyone that walks in unless they have a special event going on there.
I agree. It has always been available for "after race" parties during the events I attend there (HSR). I was just speculating that this event (due to its large attendance) may close it to attendees (unless they are already members that are attending this event). :shrug:

I think I have seen that Camaro/Firebird behind you out at Roebling road before if I'm not mistaken.
That Bird is owned by a guy named George (from the Atlanta area). He loves Roebling, and I am sure that is the car you saw. He is a big Pontiac guy and was interviewed on the show "Muscle Car" when it featured the Firebird. He runs that 403ci engine that the production T/A Firebirds had (although the real T/A Firebirds had to run 305ci engines).

What motor are you running and what was in the Falcon?
We both have the 289/302 engines.

You'll find most of the other "vintage" cars have a stroker 302 (331 or 347ci engines) or 351 (never available in 65/66 cars and some of those are stroked). You'll also find the run Jerico's, narrowed rear ends, 6-piston front brakes, and highly modified front suspensions. My FIA car (i.g., as they ran in the 1966 T/A [AS] and B-production) has period correct front brakes, drum rear brakes, and a toploader and now runs in a different group than the more heavily modified Mustangs. I also run it in SVRA.

Michael's Mustang (very fast):
Boz.jpg

Jeff's very swift car (who will be at SAAC in the vintage race):
Jeff.jpg

If you see him, ask him why he decided the grass was the quick way up the hill after T-10b during the Mitty. :D

Dick's car (which I sometimes co-drive). There is nothing like slamming those Jerico's up through the gears:
Dick.jpg

Sorry, the above pic wouldn't fit on the previous post...It does give me an excuse to post another pic of my POS from the Mitty (2006):
Mitty06f.jpg

Don't laugh at that Pinto; it's a very fast car.

John's T-Bird using the Rd Atl curbs (those heavy cars do need a little help to turn properly):
94Tbird.jpg

I am planning to be there on Saturday, probably with the entire family (wife and 2 girls) in tow. If you see a wide-eyed noob back-packing a blond 3 year old while drooling over any GT40's and begging for a peek inside, that is going to be me. Looking forward to it!

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, well, well.

I probably won't get to come either, but it is for a good reason! :)

Looks like the Lola will arrive in Raleigh on Friday so I'll be in the garage making vroom vroom noises all day after it gets off the truck. Anyone that wants to come down from VIR and see it and make vroom vroom noises is welcome! :pepper:

Since I've got to head out Sat. AM for the Tall Ships expo I can't do the weekend either, but, if any track folks want to come down (1:15 track to door) on Friday I can put them up for the evening so they don't have to return to VIR that night.

Hope you guys have a fantastic time though and DON'T be stingy on the pictures!!!!!!

Ron

Last edited:
Back