Newey crash at Classic Le Mans

Looks like Adrian Newey has a tyre blow coming into chicane at 180mph !!!!!! What a tragedy. Driver is ok apparently.

Attachments

• newey.JPG
    newey.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 2,974
that'll polish out :D

It is sad to see that happen to such a nice car. At least it was being used though, rather than rusting away in a museum. I'm sure it'll get rebuilt.
Look at the cills - I wonder if the fuel cells split ??

I also heard another car caught fire on the Mulsane straight, burning the drivers face in the process. Which car was that ?

Keith

Wow, that was good car too. Hope they do rebuild it. 180 mph? Can't quite see, but don't those fronts look like a street style tread?:eek:

Perhaps they're racing wets, but i didn't think it was wet at CLM, if they were street tyres, perhaps 180 mph was a tad too optimistic.

Glad Adrian's OK.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, it's hard to tell, but wouldn't it be more likely Avon or Dunlop period race tyres. Remember this is the pre-slicks era. I would be highly surprised if a man of his experience would be on unsuitable tyres.

No extra roll protection in his car then? I doubt you'd see modern rollover cage so badly deformed. Mind you depends on the hit I suppose.

John W raised the fuel tank issue, I'd be interested to hear about that too.

Good to hear drivers OK.

Regards

hi Guys

here is a close up of his tyres

regards

Chris

Attachments

• p1010.jpg
    p1010.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,130
  • p1010a.jpg
    p1010a.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 2,191
  • P1010b.jpg
    P1010b.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 2,069

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Such a shame to see on e of the originals damaged like this but as John says better it was being used then left to rust away.

Perhaps the car needs to go to Franco Sparro for the repair - Adrian could then choose from 3 originals (all with papers) to race!

Ian

Hi Ron

Generally an original race car would run 600lbs on the front and surprisingly around 450lbs to 475lbs on the rear.

regards

Chris.

IanAnderson said:
Such a shame to see on e of the originals damaged like this but as John says better it was being used then left to rust away.

Perhaps the car needs to go to Franco Sparro for the repair - Adrian could then choose from 3 originals (all with papers) to race!

Ian
On Frank Sbarro....one of his 'specials' ..1040 was wthdrawn from a Paris auction a few weeks ago at 600,000 Euros......
Apparently the owner of the true 1040 intervened.....watch this space !!

Malcolm

Supporter
Those tyres look like period Dunlop L or M tyres to me. It is a requirement to run them even though drivers are not that keen on them.

Keith

IanAnderson said:

Ian

:D :D :D

The report says that the tyre blew after it hit the barrier - the car just snapped right unexpectedly.

Keith1 said:
The report says that the tyre blew after it hit the barrier - the car just snapped right unexpectedly.
Somewhere I read that at race speeds, that sometimes a car with a puncture won't be noticable until after hard braking.

Keith1 said:
Somewhere I read that at race speeds, that sometimes a tire with a puncture won't be noticable until after hard braking.

Nice pics Chris.

Interesting to see he is running modern dampers (Konis) and springs (Eibachs). I'm surprised that is allowed in historic racing, yet brakes and tyres have to remain the correct vintage...

I was going to suggest you sent him the pictures, but he might have a sense of humour failure :)

Incidentally, the roll bar issue. I beleive they were only fitted to the mkIIs and then to the later mkI cars, and then only if the teams requested them.

I wonder who looks after this car normaly, and who will get the repair job. Could be out of action for a while I think...

Hi John

Lanzante looks after Mr Newey's P1010, however I would speculate that Andy at Gelscoe will probably get the repair job for the tub.

Sorry I missed you at the Classic.

regards

Chris

Attachments

• P1010e.jpg
    P1010e.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,835
  • P1010g.jpg
    P1010g.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,792
  • P1010h.jpg
    P1010h.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,778
Last edited:

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Newey Crash

Nice piccies of the front Disk cooling system too. How are they mounted? Do any of the road cars use this or isnt it necessary?

ps you guys might like to see this - parked in error by the marshals on Thursday........ not that I am complaining - next to 1010

Attachments

• Image011.jpg
    Image011.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,711
Back