Monterey Pre-Historic Tour

On August 16 (Thursday) a group of us (about 8-10 cars) are going to take a small tour of the Monterey area winding up at Laguna Seca for a couple of hours and then over the hill to Baja Cantina on Carmel Valley Rd. Where they have a nice outside picnic served (@ $10) as well as a small regular Thursday show and shine (30-40 cars) which we hope to brighten up, we should arrive at the track sometime around noon and leave for Baja @ 3:30 staying until 6-6:30 at which point the traffic should be clear.

If anyone else has their car in the area for that day or for the Historics weekend we would love to have you along for the ride. This is not an organized event, but we did this last year and it was a lot of fun. If you like post here and PM me with any contact info. Hope to see you there.

The fiancee and I will be there starting friday for the Historic races. Unfortunately my Superformance 40 will not be done and here in time so we'll have to "Slum it" and take the lexus. Oh well. Hope to see you there.

Rich.

Hi Chris, we always go to the Cantina on thursday and will see you there, I will be thrashing on my GT to arrive on wednesday, I won't have all my uprights from Ian until tuesday, so it will be close.
See you there.
Davei

Hi guys,

Last year there were WAY more than 30-40 cars at the Baja Cantina on the Thursday of the Monterey Historics weekend. More like 100-150 or more. Fantastic scene, everything from original, concours 1930s Packards, to street rods, musclecars, exotics, and best of all, a beautiful deep blue RHD ERA GT40. Does this belong to anybody here?

ERAGT40-1.jpg

ERAGT40-2.jpg

I'll be there in my Pantera for the first time; hope to see some more GT40s there too!

MikePanteraTrackVegas.jpg

Not if I see you guys first! HAHAHAHA!!!!

Seriously, save a space for me if you can--I hope to be there around 6:00 p.m. or so.

Looking forward to it!

Last year I got there late 6:30-7, there was 50-60 cars when I arrived, had to take someone home, got stuck on 68 in bumper to bumper in the 40 for @ 30-45 min., to its credit never got above 200 f, but the throwout bearing sure didnt like it, so I got the 65 fastback out and brought it. The blue ERA belongs to a friend of mine who should come along this year as well. There is a Silver CAV (no stripes) I saw there last year, anyone here? Would like to make 10 GT40s if possible or at least its something to shoot for, we certainly would like a RF or RCR to show, maybye a DRB, SPF or a MDA even, at which point I think we would have it pretty much covered.

So if Dave Briggs shows up I figure 4 GTDs, 3 CAVs, 1 ERA, 1 Tornado, and if the Caveman (Graham) would grace us with his very cool KVA /Original Hybrid that would make 10. This could be the best showing of 40 replicas ever in the US, (has there ever been this many on this side of the pond before) At Howard's party last year there were 9. Any others? anyone seen Pat form Gilroy lately? I talked to Baja Cantina last week and they suggested we try to arrive by 3-3:30 to get preferred parking.
See ya there.

anyone seen Pat from Gilroy lately?

Well, remember that Pat (another Pantera owner--this thread is crawling with them!) doesn't actually own that car. He gets to drive the Pantera, but the GT40 is decidedly his wife Becky's car! She tears all over in that thing, and has been pulled over by every cop for miles around. Somehow, this attractive woman with a great smile and a great personality never winds up with a ticket though--I wonder why that happens? ;)

Unsightly Pantera infestations, someone needs to come up with a repellent :p
Drewage, I will be driving my Azin car and may try and hit this little gathering. I can only make Friday at Laguna as I have a race at Sears Point on the weekend. What day is the Italian car show? (sounds more snooty in Italian, doesnt it?) I have never seen that show.

Attachments

• NSX 009.jpg
    NSX 009.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 339
Hey Rob,

The Concorso Italiano is on Friday (Concorso Italiano - A Celebration of Italian Style), and is bloody expensive, but worth it IMHO if you like Italian cars. There's literally a thousand of them on display, undoubtedly the largest Italian car show in the world.

The *quality* could be better--the Ferrari camp is littered with 'nondescript' models like 308s etc, but ultra-rare and desirable older cars are rather thin on the ground. The snooty-types probably go to The Quail, the competing event on the other side of town that prides itself on being even MORE expensive!

Friday at Laguna Seca, almost all cars will be on-track for practice. This year for the first time, several groups will actually practice on Thursday instead of Friday--including the group with the GT40s in it (meaning they won't run Friday). So, you'd better play hooky from work and zoom on down Thursday too. The GT40 group practice is in the afternoon, although I can't remember what time exactly.

I hope to see you at Concorso on Friday; it's been WAY too long since we've seen each other. Call me on my cell (707) 628-3317 and we can play cell-phone Marco Polo. :)

Back