GT40 Marque at Road America

Hello GT40 fans! Elkhart Lake's Road America has chosen the vintage GT40 for its Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman 2009 event marque, July 16-19, 2009. It's going to be a fantastic Wisconsin weekend of racing and GT40 enthusiast activities. We welcome your ideas, input and attendance! [email protected]

There was a general consensus of opinion that it would be a good thing for the track as well as our membership if we could have a time to get on the track en masse(more or less parade style). Would that be possible? A.J.

We will have special parking for all GT 40s and Ford GTs. Probably inside the turn 5 area (great viewing). More information will be available soon.

Thanks Johann for all the kind words about the event. I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and I promise not to let you down. We will have special parking for all GT 40s and Ford GTs. We are doing the schedule now and will try for some time to get these cars on track. I talked with Brian today and we expect to get two cars out of the Collier collection to the event.

I spoke with Jim Kinsler and he may attend for the first time with his car which he has owned since new (I think...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dom-
Cars going back to the 50s race in 10 race groups - the GT40s will have an additional feature race. We typically have about 1000 cars entered for racing, touring and the Road & Track Concours d'Elegance. The Concours itself is an incredible part of the weekend, with race cars doing a Friday night parade from the track to downtown Elkhart Lake where thousands of fans come out to see the cars and enjoy the festivities. On Saturday night, Sports Cars line up on the streets for more of the same. Final awards are presented on Sunday afternoon at the track. I hope you can make it!
Julie

Long way from Sunny England, but I remember my days of working for the Chicago Region of the SCCA timing and scoring and running the speed traps in the days of CanAm, Trans Am, and the good old June Sprints.

Maybe I can be back in Chitown when this event is on.

Road America is one of my favorite tracks in the world.

Best
Dom

Yup, and to no discredit of some old timing and scoring friends, one crawled through a campfire after drinking a friend's "A Sports Racer" lemonade !!!

Back before Group 7 cars were known as such.

Dom

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Mike, I was hoping nobody was going to ship from the west coast but now it appears I may be coaxed into it :thumbsup:

If it's not a total pita I wouldn't mind but I don't know where to begin on making arrangements. I'm east of L.A. about 1 hour.

There are lots of racers coming from the west coast for the vintage races... Perhaps there will be room for a few of your cars in the various transporters.

Back