GT40 45th reunion at Road America

That's right, 45 years ago GT40s took to the track. I went to the 30th reunion and first layed eyes on my Spyder. Good Gawd, has it been that long ? Brial Kissel pointed out that there is information on the Road America website and it is really a great year to attend the event (The Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman-previously known as the Brian Redman International Challenge or BRIC). Whether you camp at the track or stay in town, it is a big time-HUGE. If you wait too long to decide to go or make a reservation, you will be staying out in the boondocks and have to limit your socializing accordingly.

This is from Road Americas website.

Road America - Elkhart Lake Wisconsin - Road Racing at it's Best!

Feature Marque Announced
11/17/2008

2009 Kohler International Challenge Details

The Ford GT40 will be the feature marque at Road Americas Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman, July 16-19, 2009.

Every year vintage car enthusiasts gather at Road America to celebrate the beauty and performance of the worlds greatest racecars. Over 1,000 entries are showcased in 10 race groups, track touring and the Concours d Elegance over the four-day event.

An annual highlight of the weekend is the Road & Track Magazine Concours d Elegance featuring a Friday night racecar convoy from the track to downtown Elkhart Lake. The cars then line the streets of the quaint
Village for judging and spectator viewing. Street licensed sports cars are featured on Saturday evening and the display is open to the public for participation. Contact the Road America administrative office for further details.

As event marque, the GT40 will be celebrated with a feature race, showcase cars, displays GT40 enthusiast activities and special guests. Watch for further details and plans for these special events and appearances on the Road America website in the months to come.

Make plans now to attend this fabulous weekend, July 16-19, 2009 at Road America.

I've been there for the last 3 years and wouldn't miss it for the world. My little guy and I had more fun than humans are aloud to have last year. Note to self, make sure Kip goes potty before the touring event.

Attachments

• P1016749.jpg
    P1016749.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 755
  • P1016863.JPG
    P1016863.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 611
  • P1016839.jpg
    P1016839.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 561
  • P1016842.JPG
    P1016842.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 599

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As Johan stated, try to get into the OlstHoff Hotel or Seibkins Resort. Don't put off getting your reservations. I did last year, and ended up staying about 20 miles away in Chilton. If you are planning on going, book soon. I had a great time there, and I'm sure you will too.
Regards Brian

Reservations made.

No, I'm not staying at one of those fruity resort hotels listed above where the rooms are carpeted in rosepetals and lit by candlelight and I can get a holistic foot massage and aromatherapy. I'm going to a freakin' RACE TRACK for crying out loud!

Wait, I goofed up. I made a reservation at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in Oshkosh, $70 a night with my military discount. It features a comfortable bed, hot shower, free internet. Now that's what I'm talkin' about, baby! :thumbsup:

It looked close enough on the map, but AFTER the reservation was made I learned that it's an hour away??? Okay, so that was dumb. Cancelling reservation now, continuing to hunt around for decent nearby non-foofy lodging....:shrug:

Okay, score. Sleep Inn & Suites in Sheboygan, about 20 minutes from the track, $79 per night. Good to go.

Hope to see a lot of you there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure is fun to stay downtown and not have to worry about driving.
A. Osthoff Resort the: Hotel & Conference Center - www.osthoff.com - (920) 876-3366 - 40 reviews

B. Siebkens Resort - www.siebkens.com - (920) 876-2600 - 1 review

C. Christi's Inn - www.christisinn.com - (920) 876-3346 - 1 review

D. Victorian Village Resort - www.vicvill.com - (920) 876-3323 - 10 reviews

E. Hampton Inn Elkhart - www.hamptoninn.com - (574) 264-2525 - 6 reviews

F. AmericInn Motel - www.americinn.com - (920) 892-2669 - 10 reviews

G. Baymont Inns & Suites Plymouth - www.baymontinns.com - (920) 893-6781 - 8 reviews

H. Plymouth Inn - maps.google.com - (920) 893-5623 - 1 review

I. Phoenix Charters - www.charterfishingsheboygan.com - (920) 893-2050 - More

J. 52 Stafford - www.irishinnsandtours.com - (920) 893-0552

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone going from the UK ?

I'm thinking about it, so looking at flights and accomodation. It would be good to go as a smallish group if anyone else fancies it.

Cheers,
John.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
You know we should make a place and time that everyone from the GT40s forum can meet each other and look at cars.

You know we should make a place and time that everyone from the GT40s forum can meet each other and look at cars.

That's easy ! The Windy City Cobra Club has a very nice spot on the inside of turn 5 every year and it is the place to be ! They set up a nice outdoor kitchen and cook breakfast and other meals every day which I look forward to every year. Set up a tent there and I bet you put on 5 pounds over the weekend. The idea then is that you walk or drive around the infield with the exception of the paddock area which must be traveled on foot more or less.
DSC05598.JPG

DSC05553.JPG

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Bill ask: Is anyone remotely considering bringing their car??

As of this morning the following are planning to attack the area with our SPF cars:

Kirby Schrader MarkII (Is going to be at VIR the previous weekend as well)
Jack Houpe MarkI
Daryl Adams MarkI(right?)
Mike Trusty MarkII (VIR is possible but not probable)

Mike Drew will be with us for support. We all have room reservations and almost ready to role.

I had heard it was also 40th formula ford reunion. Anyone know if that is true? I am scheduled to be with the family at Niagara Falls, so not sure I could make it. But I just purchased a really nice FF, so now I am even more interested.

I might bring my SPF MKII. I am thinking of trailering it from Oregon. Even if I don't bring it I will most likely be there as we realtives that live in Plymouth. They take care of some F1 cars that a client races there.

Mike

This is a wonderful event. I have been going to the vintage races at road america since I was about 5. Last year, i brought my '68 Porsche 911 along. Best time i have ever had. For those who are planning on flying in, Milwaukee is a very easy drive. virtually straight the whole way. If you want to go cheap there is a camp site that is 1 mile away from the track. Last year my alarm clock was the sound of Formula 5000's, Can-Am, GTP, the list goes on. I cant wait to go this year!!!!! I thought the Lola reunion was great (Thanks Johan!), but i have a feeling this will be the best.

Back