Transport from West Coast to GT40 45th reunion at Road America

I have been in touch with a transporter referred by Lance at Superformance. Attached are pictures of his rig and below is part of an email he sent me. It holds three cars. I am looking to fill up the two slots that are left. My car is in Southern Oregon, but I can leave out of Portland, Sacramento, Reno or places in between. I am getting a price estimate now. Anyone interested?

From Bill:

"If you can find two more cars, I will make the cost very attractable and affordable. You will also have the use of my enclosed trailer and everything in it while at the event. If it is a competitive racing event, you are welcome to ship spare tires, tools and anything else that you will need for your weekend. While I have possession of your car, it will never be left unsecured or alone. My travel to and from the event will be direct with no diversions. Your car will be safe. Lance is a great guy and I have transported for him on numerous occasions. I'm sure he will vouch for me as well. Let me know!"

Mike

Attachments

• rig1small.JPG
    rig1small.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 348
  • rig2small.JPG
    rig2small.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Mike,

Let me explain to you how I go about this. I am located in Phoenix, Arizona. If I met you in Reno, Nevada, that would equal approx. 725 miles. From Reno to Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin is approx. 2000 miles, give or take. Then it's another 2000 miles back to Reno and another 725 back to Phoenix. That would be a total of 5450 miles. I usually charge $1.00 to $1.25 per mile. Heck, that would be far too much money for one guy to pay. Like I said before, I will make this very attractive and affordable for you. Assuming that we get two more guys, I can still cut it way back. If I didn't charge you the distance from Phoenix to Reno, that would cut out $1500 to $1875 round trip. If I only charged you from Reno to Elkhart Lake and back to Reno, that would be $4000 to $5000. Here is what I will do for you. I will not charge you guys from Phoenix to Reno and I will charge you .75 cents per mile each from Reno to Elkhart Lake and back to Reno. That would make the round trip $3000 each. I know it still sounds like a lot of money but there are still many costs involved. I will honor that price now, no matter what happens to our fuel cost situation. Now, if you want to handle the other two guys and charge them a little more and you less, thats fine with me. We just need to average $3k each. I figure I would need to meet you in Reno, if that's where we agree on, the Sunday before the event to load your car. I would return your car Thursday or Friday in Reno once again. However, keep in mind, we don't know where the other two cars will be located. So let me know your thoughts. Did you receive the two pics that I sent you?

Bill

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Quite the dilemma Mike. As much as I’d love to ship my car the cost doesn’t make sense to me. If I were planning to actually race on the track I would certainly take advantage of the offer. Thanks for posting the opportunity.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Guys that sounds crazy money to me.

I looked at shipping mine over for the event and it would be about £500 each way for a 20 foot container - they could stack 2 in there so £500 return each for a pair.

that would be the cost from UK to any US port - East or West coast

sure this is no frills stuff and no use of trailer at the event etc. but to me this does sound pricy.

I'm also looking at putting together quotes for any USA cars wanting o come over for the Le Mans classic 2010 at present UPS shipping is coming up with similar quotes.

Is ther no rail service that will move a container at least a large part of the way?

Ian

I have quotes from three enclosed car transporting companies and they all are $3000 to $3800 from Sacramento or Reno to Elkhart Lake and back. I wish it weren't the case but so far that is that.

Two years ago, I paid $1,800 from North Carolina to Oregon one way.

Mike

Please note!FedEx Custom Critical is Road America's official car carrier for the Kohler International Challenge.
Visit www.customcritical.fedex.com/auto for information or call 800.235.4267. Use promotional code "Road America"http://roadamerica.com/userfiles//FDCC_AT_RoadAmerica.pdf

I called FEDEX to get a quote and they had not heard of any promotional code for Road America. They are checking. The quote I did receive was $1900 one way from my home in So Oregon to Elkhart. They are checking on the promo code and the possibility of a round trip discount. I will post what they come back with.

Mike

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Wow, now my interest is sparked. I had pretty much let go the idea of taking my Tornado so give me a couple days to consider.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Don't do this to me Mike !!:poke: I have truly agonized over this.

The price can't be beat and I hope someone else can take advantage.

I must pass though but I am really looking forward to the event along with meeting everyone here.

Back