GT40's in Canberra

We have a get-together of all the local car clubs and associated interest groups each year here in Canberra, as a display in front of the old Parliament House. About the equivelent of Pebble Beach as far as scenery goes.

Normally a roll up of 850 -1000 vehicles, ranging from 1901 to the ridiculous.

I have organised for the two local registered cars and my semi built to get a spot, to show the world what GT40's are all about. And how they are built from kits or otherwise these days.

It occurs to me that the Australian kit manufacturers might be interested in supplying some literature to hand out to interested parties. More than happy to be the go-between.

And of course, if any Oz 40 owners would like to turn up on Sun, 27 March, you would add to the day wonderfully.

Clive

Clive, that is an extremely generous offer. And it is fantastic that you will be flying the GT40 flag.

It actually sounds like it would be a very interesting show to attend, but with our current workload and racing commitments I'm pretty certain I won't be able to attend.

It would be appreciated if you wouldn't mind handing out some RCR brochures to anyone interested.

I'm sure a day like that is going to generate a thirst. So just let me know and I will assist with helping stock your fridge with your favourite cold ale's.

If you can contact me privately via PM or email and let me know your postal address.

Cheers.

Clive sounds like a good weekend, I will look at going down (I am in Newcastle) for the day or weekend. Maybe some of the Sydney guys might make a day of it as well.

Darrell DRB G50/LS1

Hi Clive,

I've got a couple of sons working in Canberra so I am looking at coming from Melbourne with my 40 also. I'll check with some of the other Melbourne owners to see if they want to go for a drive.

Sent you a PM for more information.

Andrew

G'day guys,

Great to see the interest. The day is called 'Wheels' and starts about 8.30am for attendees, through to about 3pm. There is no cost, but if you know you have an oil leak, please bring a drip tray. The lawns are manicured, and damage is frowned on.

All terribly civilised, low key, and we have had excellent weather for years. May it continue (touch wood).

More than happy to field any questions.

Clive

Sounds great, Clive. Thanks for notifying us, as many car nuts are interested in all unuaual and interesting machinery. I'd like to attend, but will not be in a 40 (probably a Porker).

Bernie,

Not sure what the 'two or three spaces available' is in reference to.

The organisers of Wheels are ecstatic that 40's will be on show, and the more the merrier.

Clive

Dalton,

Most certainly. I have been busy assembling my car so that at least it looks like something.

Still expecting the other two Canberra based 40's to turn up, and will be confirming in the next day or so.

Busy spectating at Phillip Island at the moment, and apart from drooling over 1018 have met the man who built my body. My brother is car 14 in 'Flatchats' post on Phillip Island

Phillip Island has got to be the best circuit in Australia

Will post in the next few days with updates.

My mobile is 0412 628 008 for anyone wanting OT info.

Clive

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Many pics of the T70 spyder please Clive :heart:
Has the Tiga been to Morgan Park Q ??
Say 'ello to the front runners from Queensland

G'day Chris,

Sorry, only just got to see your post re the T70 pics. Didn't get any of the T70, just a ton of 1018 and a (RF?) kit in the spectator area. Very nicely built - yellow - anyone here?

A blinder of a meeting. I will be back!

Clive

Chris I spent the weekend at Phillip Island and took a heap of photos but it may be a few days before i have some time to get them of the camera. Fantastic event easily the best race meeting in Australia. Interestingly that the fastest sporst car there was the Vaskanda, it walked away from the canam and le mans cars.

Darrell

DRB LS1/G50

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Onya Daz, the Veskanda was running against one of its rivals of the '80s
--Lola 610 which was a Lemans winner - I think?.
The Veskanda was derived from a Lola T332 rebodied and created by K&A engineering running a sbc 6.L
Good to see that is still quick !

Back to the thread -----------

An update on a brilliant day.

Thank you to Steve Mommsen (Canberra) and Andrew East (Melbourne) for coming along. The interest was incredible. I was only there, working out how to de-trailer, in an empty field, at about 8am, when two kids about 10 came rocketing up. Obviously interested, I asked if they knew what it was. Wrong question. I suspect they knew more about GT40's than me!!!

The piccies show the three cars, Steve's green DRB (Stunning), and Andrew's RF - very clean after a couple of races at Winton on the way up yesterday.

Andrew is the guy with daught on his shoulders, and that looks like Dalton with his arms crossed, looking at Steve's car. Steve is wearing the Tshirt with the white lettering.

Again guys, thanks for a top day.

Clive

Attachments

• P3270001.JPG
    P3270001.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 684
  • P3270002.JPG
    P3270002.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 349
  • P3270003.JPG
    P3270003.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 312
Yep, I was there. My son now works in Canberra, and he was there too. Hundreds of cars and bikes of all types and ages, in front of old Parliament House; great fun.

Attachments

• DSCN3470A.jpg
    DSCN3470A.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCN3471A.jpg
    DSCN3471A.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCN3473A.jpg
    DSCN3473A.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN3476A.jpg
    DSCN3476A.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCN3477A.jpg
    DSCN3477A.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 268
A couple more pics

Attachments

• DSCN3475A.jpg
    DSCN3475A.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN3478A.jpg
    DSCN3478A.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCN3479A.jpg
    DSCN3479A.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN3472A.jpg
    DSCN3472A.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 288
Clive & Dalton,

I must say what a wonderful day. Clive must be famous in Canberra because every person that came up to immediately said "Hi Clive". Weather, location was special. Clive's scratch built car is extremely impressive and now he's gone public with his build the pressure will be on to track progress for next years event. Hopefully we can attract a significant number of interstate cars to attend for next year to make it even more special, thanks for the invite Clive!

Andrew

Back