Big Bend Open Road Race

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
This will be my third year and the way fuel prices are going might be my last. Just filled up my truck for the 890 mile trip to Fort Stockton. 103 gallons for $409, so that means almost $800+ for diesel alone. Thank God I have someone to split that with!

On the original subject, I will be racing for the 3rd year and still no team GT40, I know there are a lot of Texicans out there with GT40s who must not have the gonads to join me, at least I can sit with the Pantera guys they like me. :drunk: I hope the wind will not be an issue this year, I dialed in 110 MPH average once again.

Will keep you posted on the results! There is one other GT40 who races but is not a member of this forum, John Tieman, he has real big ones and races the unlimited.

Jack, IIRC last time or perhaps year before you had a oil pressure fluctuation issue, just wondered if you have done anything to try and minimise or cure that.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack, IIRC last time or perhaps year before you had a oil pressure fluctuation issue, just wondered if you have done anything to try and minimise or cure that.

Jac you have a great memory! The first race was a new experience to me in the GT40, the Avons grip very well and there are 50 corners in the first 59 miles of the race. So taking a corner normally made for 65 mph at 100+ puts a good part of a G on your body and any liquid you have in your car. Oil, fuel, and my blatter. I was running 5-20 weight oil that year which was too low and also I found out my dip stick was not made for the oil pan I had on the car so I was running about 2 quarts lower than should have been (hold 8 quarts not 6 plus -3 for the accusump, 11 total). All this being said the oil pressure never got below 35 psi as the accusump did its job. The only reason I knew it was working is I have a light on the dash that comes on when the solenoid opens up at 35 psi or below and it would flicker in those tight corners. DRY sump is the answer, and will look into that someday down the road. Its the best running most reliable sports car I have ever owned and I have had many.

David, I look forward to seeing you there! I am going to stay at the 110 MPH this year and do hope that wind is below 30 MPH. What are you bringing this year?

Last edited:
Jack,
Running the MIata again - this time it will pull past 110mph and I can have some fun!

all the best,

David

PS: hoping to get the Pantera re-geared and start on a motor for it sometime soon.

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Ok here is my report, I selected the 110 MPH average speed for the 118 miles and 100 corners (most of them sweepers), I thought I was within 1 second (according to my countdown stop watch) of a perfect time but have not seen the results. I have been told I placed 20th in 29 but was also told there were 34 in my group so till I see it in writing I don't trust the verbal report.

Car preformed incredible once again, I will say the 3 year old Avons will not make another race as they are getting harder and I can feel the difference every year I have raced them.

Outside temp everyday 95-100 degrees @ 3000 feet elevation
coolant temp 185-195 with AC on even in traffic (Mike Trusty design)
oil temp on race day at 4200 rpm for 59 miles 240-245 max

Jack,
Data from the phone call was what the announcer told us.
e-mail this morning is from the results handout - they list 29 in your class.

Mike,
there might be some photo/vido eventually on www.bborr.com I was told the web-master had a family emergency in australia.

David
2nd in class 302 powered Miata

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike thats very much appreciated coming from a guy who's a walking car encyclopedia, thank you for remembering me. :) I don't have any pictures of my car during the race seems I was not that recognized but I bet they remember the sound!

David it was great racing with you once again, thank you for your report and phone call! Your the monster miata man with that V8 up front.

Jack,
always fun laughing w/ you and Mike P. See you again!

Mike Drew, sent you an email of the gulf liveried car at the start from 2010. It should get you going. Jack's car is a little less raspy, but nice as well.

cheers to all!

Mike Drew, sent you an email of the gulf liveried car at the start from 2010. It should get you going. Jack's car is a little less raspy, but nice as well.

I got your e-mail saying the movie was too large to send as an attachment. Can you post it on Youtube or ????

Back