Welcome From The Speed Shootout

New venue for all out speed?

Hello everyone, I normally don't go on forums, but I am looking for some help. I heard that the Loring Timing Association will be holding Texas Mile style runs this year. Is that true? Wanted to run last year, but tech for LSR is a Pain in the A$$. Has anyone heard anything? Drove up last year, and that track is HUGE! 15,000'+

Re: New venue for all out speed?

Hi Joe,
Believe they run 1.5 miles at Loring.
You can find links, forum and such at landracing.com

and yes, tech can be a pain . . .until you see a fancy dismount at 238mph!
Video: Lamborghini Gallardo Twin-turbo crashes at Texas Mile — Autoblog

get your safety gear in order, we don't want to pick you up with a stick and a spoon.

PS: I've always rated cars as : daily driver, peppy (V8 Miata), performance (new corvette), brutal (2200lb Kirkham w/ 550hp) and now I know what "stupid fast" really means!

I understand on the safety, but going to Texas and seeing all of those supercars is a whole other experience. It would be great to have an "open" track in the east that does not require 75-100k in mods to a 300k car to do what the car is capable of out of the box. I was talking to a Lambo owner a while back and he commented that there was no way he was cleaving up the dash in his to get a cage in it.

Joe,
I have a bunch of friends who have gone to LSR events and really enjoy it. The initial cost to set up the car for safety is a little high if you can do the work yourself or extremly high if you have to pay somebody else to do the work.
I will be going up to Loring this summer with my street toy a FFR 65 Daytona Coupe. It is going to cost me a couple of thousand dollars to set the car up for the safety but that will be cheaper than a guy I know who was is paying for playing on the streets.
He totaled his gt and will not walk the same again, luckily his young rider was not injured.
Just remember that old saying you've got to pay to play and how fast you want to go is controlled by how much you have to spend.
Mark

Hello to the GT40 forums from the Speed Shootout. We are a racing event that will be held in Maine this September. Our rules will be similar to the Texas and Mojave mile but with one HUGE difference, 1 1/2 miles of racing instead of a mile. Actually, our facility consists of two 14,200' runways, and a 10,200'. The event is being run by the Loring Timing Association that run the Maine Event LSR event in July. www.lat-lsr.com.

Please come visit us at www.speedshootout.com and help us spread the word to every tuner, speed shop, forum and speed minded friend you have!

All the best,
Tim

New Racing Event for GT40s

Hello to the GT40 forums from the Speed Shootout. We are a racing event that will be held in Maine this September. Our rules will be similar to the Texas and Mojave mile but with one HUGE difference, 1 1/2 miles of racing instead of a mile. Actually, our facility consists of two 14,200' runways, and a 10,200'. The event is being run by the Loring Timing Association that run the Maine Event LSR event in July. www.lat-lsr.com.

Please come visit us at www.speedshootout.com and help us spread the word to every tuner, speed shop, forum and speed minded friend you have!

All the best,
Tim

Hello All,
Tim from the Speed Shootout here. I would like to inform everyone that the Speed Shootout, held in northern Maine on our two 14,200' and one 10,200' runways is in no way affiliated with and in no way wishes gain credibility by the use of the name of any racing events held in other states that have 1 mile tracks. Any reference to any event that shall not be named was made only to illustrate the format that shall be used for timing and rules at the Speed Shootout.
We do maintain contact with other event organizers to help maintain the integrity of our similar, yet wholly severed, forms of racing. But please keep cognizant that any direct connection, expressed or implied, does not exist, nor does either party have the resolute desire for such a connection to exist at the present time. Of coarse, these arrangements are subject to change without prior formal or informal advisement to our racers, sponsors, vendors, or families.
Also, please be advised that the Speed Shootout can in no way be held responsible for the mention of, reference to, or discussion of any racing events held in other states that have 1 mile tracks that draw comparisons to the Speed Shootout by any racers, pundits, media, or other outside individuals.
I hope that covers that.
Lets all be safe out there at Bonneville, Loring, El Mirage, frozen Swedish lakes, Australian salt, or any racing events held in other states that have 1 mile tracks that shall not be named.

Tim Kelly
Race Director
Speed Shootout

Tim,
Welcome to the forum
I look forward to meeting you and the rest of the Land speed racing community.
This event sure sounds like fun for those with the correct safety equipment otherwise you are limited to 135 MPH.

Regards
Mark

Tim,
Welcome to the forum
I look forward to meeting you and the rest of the Land speed racing community.
This event sure sounds like fun for those with the correct safety equipment otherwise you are limited to 135 MPH.

Regards
Mark

Thanks for the welcome Mark. Actually the Speed Shootout has different rules than the LTA events. The rules more closely resemble the Mojave mile are are much less restrictive.

Back