Bathurst 2011

David Lowe

Lifetime Supporter
Is there any GT40 owners attending the great race. I'd like to catch up if possible. I've been going to the annual race since 1981 and seen a lot of changes in that time. (Still wouldn't take my 40 to it though) So if you are going drop us a line and we'll have a chat, a coldie and tell a few lies about how good things were in the old days

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I heard over the weekend that they are going to show the Bathhurst 1000 on Speed, first time in the US! Should be great!

I am unashamedly old, and I used to go to Bathurst back in the 60's. The original concept (Bathurst 500 miles) of racing showroom standard cars produced amazing racing. To see bog standard cars racing with their standard seats, tyres, brakes, fuel capacity, and everything was great. Safety was not great, but the majority of cars were nothing like as fast as family sedans today are. Exceptions were the Holden Monaros, Ford Falcon GT's, some Alfas, Mini-Coopers, etc. To see a VW beetle battling a Ford Anglia and Morris Minor 1000 brought tears to the eyes. Of course, all the now classic sports cars ran in other shorter races also. Must be time for my nap now.
Anyway, Bathurst is a great circuit with special memories.

David Lowe

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jim
I hope you and a few of your US friends get a chance to watch some of our great race. It would also be great (but I doubt it) if they show some of the support races such as the Touring Car Masters which include 69' Mustangs, Camaro's Falcons, Monaro's as well as other categories in the same race. These cars a getting up to 300klm/hr down Conrod Straight and it really gets the nostalgic hairs on the back of the neck standing up as they go past. We camp at the track for the full five days of practice and racing.

Dalton you are never too old to return to the great race mate. You just sleep in camper vans sipping latte's instead of battling with two man tents, warm beer and friends you didn't know you had on top of the mountain.

Back