Monterey 2012

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Howard had mentioned a get together this year in northern California, I am thinking of bringing my GT40 to Monterey this year so Rich and Richard will not be the only ones with cars. Who is planning on the Monterey event and is anyone interested in a wine country cruise before or after the event? I got a few spare bedrooms at our house in Ukiah. Richard has dibs on one I think unless he chickens out.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Where you going to stay? I normally stay at Pajaro dunes, last year Richard, myself and Brain split a condo for 3 days, it was on the beach. :) much cheaper that way.

Jack,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, a bit busy lately. Anyway, I'll be staying at the Seascape Resort with a number of other Cobra enthusiasts from the Sacramento area. I think I'll be checking in with my father sometime on thursday.

Not sure what I'll be doing the other days, but I'll probably be at the races Saturday and Sunday.

I haven't gone before, but several of the guys say that the Concorso Italiano at Laguna Seca Golf Ranch is fun, so I may enter my GT in the non-Itiallian class on Friday. It turns out that it is cheaper to enter your car (and get two tickets), than it is to just buy two tickets by themselves. I think several of the local Cobra guys will be doing the same.

Still mulling over a bumper sticker to needle the Ferrari owners with.

There are a number of other Gt40 owners around that I expect will attend, and I'd be surprised if they don't chime in sooner or later.

When do you think you'll be in town?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Still mulling over a bumper sticker to needle the Ferrari owners with./QUOTE]Posted be Ron

Ron, I saw a new McLaren the other day with a bumper sticker that said:

I like Ferraris........they taste like chicken.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
The wife and I will be attending Concorso with the Pantera, then spending Sat/Sun at the races. I'm cheap so rather than fight the traffic and Monterey prices I stay out at Salinas, which has worked out well now the Concorso is at Lagnua Golf Club.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thursday night everyone meets at the Baha canteena, that would be a good starting place. Would be nice if we had a corral at the races but more than likely end up with the cobra or pantera guys. If you go to the baha canteena get there around 4 or you will not find a parking place.

Ron your right about the tickets, it's $50 cheaper to enter a car and get 2 tickets, Ive done it several times.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'll be going to the races, Sat/Sun. As I live fairly close 1 1/2 hour drive (nice roads) I'll be staying at home. We have lots of room, so if anyone needs a place to sleep let us know.

Last edited:
The wife and I are going. Obviously in the GT-40. We stay at St. Angela's Inn in Pacific Grove. It's a true B&B. Can't beat $150 a night with an amazing breakfast and pre-dinner snacks. We will try to be at the Cantina around 4. Usually park with the Superformance display. Great parking for me and free advertisement for them.

BTW, Jack I still owe you lunch.:D

Rich,

I'll see you at the SPF display. I think my car will be parked there too.

Jim,

Good one. Not sure what I'm going with yet. Maybe something with a vintage flavor. Carroll Shelby must have said something insulting that I can use. Would seem appropriate.

I'll have to see about the Baha Cantina. Never been there before, but don't know why I couldn't make it. Will there be enough parking?

The Cantina if a party, limited parking on site but the attendees roll in and out semi regularly. So, eventually a spot opens up. I will be there but not in anything 'period' correct.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Would be nice if we had a corral at the races but more than likely end up with the cobra or pantera guys.

Jack,

The Norcal Pantera Club has corral passes with the purchase of an entry ticket through them. Supposedly for Pantera's only, but this year they are a shared space with Maserati anyway. The year before last I took the Ultima and no one batted an eyelid on driving in as long as the pass is displayed and your not in a Minivan. I'm sure the Norcal Shelby Club would have similar.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Julian, you know that Pantera people (club) are some of the best. I use to bring my Ferrari to the Pantera meet, they all accepted me as long as I had a cooler in the trunk. :)

I heard from Richard he is planning on attending the event, I think he plans on getting his car before the event its still in Socal from last winter. He doesn't have high speed internet where he lives. We discussed a couple days of touring the wine country of Norcal where I grew up, I know all the good roads. Any takers???

I am interested in going and would love to see you all there.
Any suggestions on a room? I am making this decision pretty late in the game.
I would be driving the GT up from San Diego and Lance would probably let me park with SPF.
The Cantina on Thursday is a must, always a good time.
Dave

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Pajaro dunes is where we stay its by Moss Landing about 17 miles north, its 300 per night for a condo on the beach but last year we split that between 4 guys and it came out pretty cheap. If you try to stay in Monterey and find a room it will be nuts unless you had a reservation a year in advance like Rich.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Ok plans have changed and I have given in to sensible thoughts of my wife so we are not going bring the GT40 this year but a F car with a trunk, AC that works and windows that go up and down. Call me hen pecked but she does have a point, 4 days of the same clothes could get everyones attention. We will be there to meet everyone at Baja Cantina and will park out of site. :)

Jack,

The Norcal Pantera Club has corral passes with the purchase of an entry ticket through them. Supposedly for Pantera's only, but this year they are a shared space with Maserati anyway. The year before last I took the Ultima and no one batted an eyelid on driving in as long as the pass is displayed and your not in a Minivan. I'm sure the Norcal Shelby Club would have similar.

The PCNC corral will be for De Tomaso and Maserati cars *only*. We have over 40 signed up. However, the Nor-Cal Shelby Club has a broader definition of 'club cars' and as long as it's interesting and Ford-powered (no trucks or SUVS), it's welcome there. Here's the link to arrange for purchasing corral passes and race tickets:

Nor Cal SAAC Registration

The guy honchoing the corral is Orion Felles, a very good dude indeed. You can e-mail him directly at [email protected] for more information. For instance, if you have already purchased your race tickets, you might be able to get just a corral pass (the track used to give them away for free, but now I think they cost $10)

I'm not sure what I'll be driving this year--both my Pantera and my fiancee's Pantera are on the road, but my freshly restored GT-350 clone currently has no carb, exhaust, alignment, and a number of other details. I might get around to finishing it in time, and it would be great to debut it in Monterey. We'll see....

Back