GT40 to be honoured at 2013 Goodwood Revival

That's got to be THE historic race of 2013.
If your considering booking any grandstand seats don't delay, loads of them were already sold when I ordered mine over a month ago.

from the Goodwood website -

''A Ford advanced vehicles operation was set up in Slough to deliver this goal and the GT40 programme was led by Eric Broadley....''

I wonder what John Wyer would have said to that !!

Regards Steve.

Got my seats today. Prior post about grandstand seats is right. All Chicane and 1/3 of Startline seats gone already. For you Goodwood experts- I'm assuming the GT40 race (Whitsun Trophy) is Saturday?

They've carefully not given the day yet and looking back its not always been on the Saturday (tho I'm happy to be corrected)

Hi All,

BEWARE = at the moment the parts of the revival website that describe the different races seem to contain the details of the 2012 races, ie The 'Shelby Cup' Cobra 50th anniversary race, etc, etc.

The webite is also a bit confused over whether it is a one make GT40 race 'and/or' Whitsun Trophy GT40 race.
My best guess (please note, best guess) based on previous years events is that there would be a normal all makes Whitsun Trophy and in addition the GT40 One Make Race.

I think it will be some time before the detailed programme is confirmed.

Sorry I can't help more, Steve

We are a bunch of GT40s from Belgium that most likely would like to attend over the weekend.
Is there a GT40 organisation foreseen (like at the Le Mans Classic) or can someone advise us how to organize ?

Thanks
Rgds
Fred

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Fred

I have never yet made it to a big Goodwood occasion so perhaps speaking out of turn, however I may be able to shed some light from what I have heard.

Lord Marsh who owns the Goodwood estate is not a fan of replicas and as such does not welcome "us" as the Le Mans organisers do.

I will put your request to the committee and those more in the know and revert once more is known.

Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Fred
From someone far more knowledgable about Goodwood than myself

The problem with Goodwood is exactly that, they make no allowances nor have arrangements for cars clubs to gather together other than all meet somewhere before hand & then arrive in convoy to be parked in the same public car park (Rough Field!!) outside of the Motor Circuit.

The only other possibility that comes to mind would be to book a camping area in the field, again!

I am wondering if perhaps a restaurant type get together may be organised.
Again I'll have to ask those with better knowledge

Ian

Many thanks for your quick reply.

Looks like everyone will have to take care about his own way of getting and staying there.

Thanks to keep uis in the loop.

Rgds
Fred

Ian its not that that Lord March dislikes replicas. It just that the racing and period of the Revival is fixed at 1966 when the actual racing ended. The Festival of Speed has not got this restriction.
I do not think Martin Corvell was please when he was asked to put back GT40/P1084 to 1966 specs no Welslake heads, etc thats why it did not enter.
The only concession to this was the set up garage with 1968 Gulf GT40's. And there Motor show (of the future) where even a 1967 GT40 MKIII was displayed. Also the parades for racing drivers i.e Dan Gurney covering their careers thats why the 1967 Le Mans winner J-5 MKIV was there along with later Can Am cars like his MacEagle and the Eagle F1 and Indy car.
Given the odd mix of clothing from 1940's to the hippy kafcans which were late 1960/early 1970's somethings are flexable.
However car tweaking has been present asked yourself back in the day could A35 beat a Jaguar MKVII? and be capable of 120MPH??? I even think of a GT40 has not been asked back.
I always have to wait for nearer the time to finalize the Whitsun trophys' date and book my tickets and mobility chair. Also if they up the prestige for the race it might move to Sunday! They had it one year as the second to last race and I missed the ending because I had to go and it was dark. So Saturday is not always the Whitsun Trophys day!!!
I take it those booking grandstand seats are GRRC members? The fee went up to £190 this year and you could get tickets and grandstand seats prior to Xmas for a limited time. I wonder how many are left? As you cannot pay at the gate all tickets are only available in advance.
Regards Allan

Hi Allan,
No, I'm not a GRRC member.
I seem to remember I got a little advance notice email from Goodwood as a previous customer though, that gave a few days grace before the tickets went on general sale.
( Just checked the paperwork, my order was placed on the last day of October.)

Regards Steve

Pat

Supporter
Does anyone know of any reputable tour groups that one from this side of the pond could engage for the Goodwood event?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the link. I attempted to complete their pre booking web form and it errors out on postal code. I then attempted to complete their callback web form and there is no confirmation after hitting the submit button that tells you if the form was submitted. That is an awful website!

Keith

However car tweaking has been present asked yourself back in the day could A35 beat a Jaguar MKVII? and be capable of 120MPH???

The Austin A35 was the forerunner of the Mini & Cortina vis a vis "giant killers". The Austin A40 was right up there too (courtesy of Ecurie Ecosse). I used to regularly visit Crystal Palace, my local track, and watch these two Austin models whip the Jaguar Mk I's, far more nimble than a MK VII, on a regular basis and of course, it was all done on the corners. The A35's cornered relatively flat whilst the MKI's floundered around lurching from understeer to snap oversteer.

The A35 (998 or later 1098) had a cracking engine and gearbox in the 'A' series and with a few tweeks courtesy of Downton Engineering, it was the saloon car to have.

So yes, definitely!

I used to regularly visit Crystal Palace, my local track, and watch these two Austin models whip the Jaguar Mk I's, far more nimble than a MK VII, on a regular basis and of course, it was all done on the corners.

So yes, definitely!

Agree, a bit like current Lotus vs GT40 at Club AGM Track Day at Donington in 2011 :thumbsup:

hi paul,
happy new year,
i dont remember any lotus's passing john brindley at the gt club AGM track day at donnington 2011, possibly the driver has something to do with it.
regards,
dick :)

Hi Dick,
Happy New Year to you too sir!
I kinda knew someone would throw that back at me but the point is that you would have to compare JB in a 40 against JB in a Lotus.............................
Hope to see you sometime soon good fella :)

Back