A Texas GT40's event?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
The subject of a GT40's 'get together' was brought up in another thread and Texas was mentioned.... There are quite a few of the cars in the state.

I've organized this kind of thing for the Spacecity Panteras club (we've got a damned good club here, in case anyone asks) and could do something like we do again if the interest was there. So here's some things that I'll throw out there for feedback.

1) I would recommend Texas World Speedway as the venue of choice.
It's a fast track for those guys that want to track their cars. There is security there overnight, too.

2) I would propose doing this in conjunction with 'The Driver's Edge.
The Drivers Edge
This is a well run outfit and I/we have dealt with them before.
They run 4 groups - Green, blue, yellow and red.
Green is beginners, blue is some experience, yellow is more experienced and red is you know what you are doing.
The first two groups are instructor with you mandatory.
Yellow is up to you.
Red is typically you out there doing it, but lots of the instructors like riding in cars they've never ridden in before. I've always gotten good tips on how to improve from them.
It is a very safe setup and they take safety seriously. No passing except on the straights, etc. etc. I've seen them send people home when things got out of hand. Have a look at their website.

The downside - For the track event, they have limited spots, so if you want to get onto the track, you need to book as soon as Rick opens the registration online or you might be left out.

They have an event at TWS the weekend of September 28-29.

3) I would never pretend to try and duplicate something like 2009 at RA.

4) There are plenty of hotels/motels in the area (College Station/Bryan). The Driver's Edge usually books rooms at a discount at a hotel but they fill up fast.
My personal experience here is if we book a block of rooms, there is always someone who doesn't like the hotel, so we've found that every man for himself works out the best.

5) It is possible to block off an area at the track for everyone to park. We've had car shows there with the Pantera Club.

6) There would most likely be some Pantera guys in the 'get together' and I would plan on having at least my GT40 there as well as a racecar Pantera I've recently 'inherited'.
In fact, if there were enough of us, we could possibly ask DE to reserve the whole thing for us? I'd have to talk to Rick about that... that's just something that I thought of...

7) There are plenty of places to visit around the area. There are vineyards in the area, San Antonio isn't that far away, neither is Austin. Galveston and Houston, etc. etc. Although Galveston would be a good 2 1/2 - 3 hours depending on how 'scenic' you'd like the trip to be.

8) I would need help to pull this off. I still work for a living. :stunned:

So, what say y'all? I'm open to suggestions.
As I've told my son regarding the Pantera he's restoring... I need to see more than just enthusiasm here, son....
:laugh:

Regards,
Kirby

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Kirby
What sort of price? And would you know what is the closest port?
Perhaps some of us "Pommies" can ship our cars over and join in!

Ian

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I am very interested Kirby, thanks for considering helping to organize this. I am reminded that I have used most of my vacation up this year taking care of my elderly parents but I will look and see if this is something I can commit to. When do you think commitments need to be made? It would be awesome if DE would make this a GT40 forum only event. Can we get enough?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Kirby
What sort of price? And would you know what is the closest port?
Perhaps some of us "Pommies" can ship our cars over and join in!
Ian

The track event is usually in the $295 - $315 range for the two days.
Figure $100-$150 for a hotel per night.

The nearest port would be good old Houston. A little over 2 hours drive to College Station.

Regards,
Kirby

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I am very interested Kirby, thanks for considering helping to organize this. I am reminded that I have used most of my vacation up this year taking care of my elderly parents but I will look and see if this is something I can commit to. When do you think commitments need to be made? It would be awesome if DE would make this a GT40 forum only event. Can we get enough?

Mike,

It'll be a challenge, for sure.

It's kind of a chicken and the egg thing. I will call Rick tomorrow if I can and see what he would do if I asked to buy out the whole event.

But in my experience, they want 'X' number of attendees guaranteed, but someone has to up front the $$$ to make sure there is enough space for everyone.

Then, people have life get in the way, some can't make it and the poor guy that fronted the cash is left holding the bag.

This is why I ask... How many are interested in late September? The weather is usually great that time of year.

Regardless of the turn out of GT40's, I know there are several Spacecity guys who are itching for a track event.

Regards,
Kirby

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would say anyone who is in needs to put at least the track rental money in the pot up front. If life gets in the way which can easily happen the organizer is not left holding the bag.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Guys, how did the RA event come to pass? Getting together with a large group of GT40 owners would be a great time. Getting to cruise around a track with them even better. I have to say that most of us are within easy distance of a track and local track days. To make this thing work I think we need significant participation on the forum with fellow GT40 owners. Hence the question about RA. What was it that got everyone's attention and brought everyone together?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Guys, how did the RA event come to pass? Getting together with a large group of GT40 owners would be a great time. Getting to cruise around a track with them even better. I have to say that most of us are within easy distance of a track and local track days. To make this thing work I think we need significant participation on the forum with fellow GT40 owners. Hence the question about RA. What was it that got everyone's attention and brought everyone together?

I can answer some of that... I think.

1)
It was the Kohler International Challenge
Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc. | Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman presented by FORD

2) It was the 45th Anniversary of the GT40, which, along with Kohler's advertising coverage, gives a lot of people out there the informatino.

3) As far as I know, it was long in the planning. i.e., the info was out there for many months.

I'm sure others know more....
Kirby

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Anyone on the West Coast particularly NorCal that would be interested in shipping your car to the event and sharing transport?

Julian

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Depending on dates I'm interested and its only 1 day drive from here.

Jack,

If there's not enough interest here, that's not a problem.
I have two confirmed GT40's going to be there!
:thumbsup:

If you come, that's three. Julian has said he's considering it and he's coming from Reno!

I have four Panteras confirmed (two other maybes) that will be there, too.
I'm going to announce it on the Detomaso forum today. Bound to get more Panteras at that point.

Date is September 28-29
The Drivers Edge

Registration starts online on July 28th.

Regards,
Kirby

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Count me in then, I might not be as aggressive as you but it will be fun. Need to save my pennies for some new avons.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Would be cool to have many GT40s there. This was the Ford GT rally a few years back at TMS.

vgJ12.jpg

t1v5x.jpg

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Anyone on the West Coast particularly NorCal that would be interested in shipping your car to the event and sharing transport?

Julian

Man this is a tough crowd, no one from the West Coast or between the west coast and TX interested in going and sharing transport? You can just fly and drive!

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
I can commit two cars and two drivers...if my Lola is welcome along with my GT40.

Lance Stander at Superformance was contemplating coordinating a GT40 event at COA. I am certain he would support the event and bring cars. We might be able to talk Dennis Olthoff into bringing his race car in from NC to run with us.

There are 2 other 40s here in the Austin area: Randall Farnsworth and one of the guys at RBT both have Superformance cars.

No one has mentioned it yet, but the cost to rent the COA is $55,000.00 a day. There is a maximum of 36 cars allowed per event. Here's the link with details:

Circuit of the Americas

Man this is a tough crowd, no one from the West Coast or between the west coast and TX interested in going and sharing transport? You can just fly and drive!

I can comment with authority on this! Julian's pickup truck ate its transmission one time too often, so he decided to upgrade! He bought an ex-NASCAR 18-wheeler rig and now can carry five cars! (Six if he tweaks the trailer inside a little bit).

For the Pantera convention in Phoenix in April, Lori and I drove our Panteras up to Julian's place in Reno, and loaded them up along with his, and two other cars, and Julian drove all five out to Phoenix, and back again afterwards. Lori and I rode along with him in the truck.

It was a fantastic trip, and Julian was more than reasonable, just asking us to each pay our fair share of the fuel expenses.

So if you are in Northern California or Reno and would like to attend this event, you should definitely book a slot on Julian's trailer! :thumbsup:

Back