GT40 50TH Reunion!

Will you attend a GT40 50th gathering?

• Just try to keep me and my car away!

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I will be there and most likely with my car.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I will be there, but the 40 will not.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I hope to be able to attend.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I know I can't make it......have a beer for me.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Meh!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Talking with Dennis Olthoff today, he asked why there was no US based GT40 50th anniversary planned. Well the seed has been planted. Thanks Dennis!

Proposed: At the SVRA vintage event at Watkins Glen (site of the 1989 GT40 reunion) in September we will hold a get together for all GTs! This will be in conjunction with the SVRA event. SVRA would provide track time for all the GTs in attendance....parade laps, higher speed laps and of course vintage racing for the eligible cars.

We see an "all inclusive" event. All GTs are welcome; FAV, Gelscoe, Superformance, etc. And yes, replicas and even the 2005-2006 Ford GT will be included. We would have a dedicated parking area and as much on track time as possible.

And more than just the car event we could do some other activities. How about winery tours to some of the very nice Finger Lakes wineries in the area....via bus so you may partake with no worries. Also we want to have some family activities so all can be entertained. Perhaps a catered barbeque dinner one night under the stars!

If you are interested, with or without your GT, let me know so we can move on with planning. And non GT owners are welcome to participate!

Email me your level of interest: rick(at)timemachinesauto.com to possibly join us where the Gulf cars raced for a weekend of fun and companionship!

Rick,

Great idea.

About as far away from me as you can get and still be in the US, but cool none-the-less.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Is Road America out of the question? More central location might attract more participants?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Is Road America out of the question? More central location might attract more participants?

While RA is more central the logistics do not work as well. As this would be in conjunction with an SVRA event we are limited to the previously scheduled vintage events. the Shelby Club (SAAC) is holding their national convention at the June RA event so all of the possible track time is taken as well the prime parking, etc. Also two companion events will overtax the RA staff and dilute the event.

Watkins works best for the concept. We have enough time to organize and invite whereas June is closer than you think.

Rick,
My GTD and I are in. Always looking for a good reason to go to Watkins Glen!!
Missed the last one there and always regretted it :sad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
A short video of Road America in 2009. This content belongs to Kirby Schrader.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oj-EIa4a9I]GT40 Reunion Road America 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Rick, will this be some sort of formal event for forum members? Are there special considerations for lodging, parking, and event participation? Are there more details to come?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Working on it. We need to get some idea of who is interested before we can approach for special lodging, etc. This is not a "GT40s.com" event as all will welcome, however if you know the secret handshake there may be some benefits!

There will be secure parking at the track for all GTs and there is storage parking for trailers and trucks.

For those who have never been in the area it is one of the best playgrounds in New York State. The Finger Lakes are beautiful and offer all sorts of activities from sailing to fishing. There is a huge wine and craft beer industry within 25 miles of the Glen. Ithaca is close with it's gorges and the actual Watkins Glen State Park is a must see/climb activity. Watkins Glen State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Everything from very casual to extreme fine dining is within a 30 minute drive. Several wineries such as Glenora (the event sponsor) to Wagner have outside dining decks overlooking Seneca Lake. Glenora Wine Cellars Wagner Vineyards - Wagner Vineyards Finger Lakes Winery

We have stayed at Glenora and it is very nice. In addition, Elmira and Corning Corning Museum of Glass are only minutes away with entertainment, dining and lodging. Elmira was the home of Samuel Clemons for many years and there are exhibits there on Mark Twain.

If you have never been to a vintage event at the Glen it is a very open setup. Your general admission ticket gets you in everywhere save for the hot pits during the races. Otherwise you are free to wander around the garage and paddocks as well as use any of the grandstands that are normally extra money. Very much the way racing was "back in the day"

The GT40 reunion at Watkins in 1989 was a magic moment in time; more GTs than had ever been gathered together at one time, perfect weather and outstanding personalities attending up to Sir Stirling Moss! We will however have Dennis Olthoff and crew supporting an SPF racer and they will available as time permits to help with any GT related concerns or problems you may have.

We don't know that we can beat 1989 but we will try our best. If anyone wants to help organize we are open to any and all help and suggestions.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Mike's wife :)

I will plan on shooting a lot of HD video when at the 2014 event. Bringing some sound equipment too.

A big thing for me would be able to run some laps at speed on the track. Will there be scheduled track time? Will there be GT40 only exhibition track time? Not interested in racing or trading paint but am hoping for more than just some low speed parade laps.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Rick, you know GT Joey who is a member on here is a New Yorker who knows a few special people with very special cars. I wonder if he would be interested in being involved? This really could & should be a special event. It's a long haul from me in Denver but short of being able to attend the Revival last year, this has to be the next best thing. While I'm not driving or taking pictures, I'll be over in Dennis' pit begging to sweep the floors or wash something ha

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Thanks Mike's wife :)

I will plan on shooting a lot of HD video when at the 2014 event. Bringing some sound equipment too.

A big thing for me would be able to run some laps at speed on the track. Will there be scheduled track time? Will there be GT40 only exhibition track time? Not interested in racing or trading paint but am hoping for more than just some low speed parade laps.

We are working on track time. how much is yet unknown as it must fit in with SVRA schedule. I will say if something goes wrong (like during our laps a couple years back when Ross had his aneurism and hit the wall in turn one) the laps will be the first thing cut to prevent SVRA losing time.

We will know more soon but we really need to know that we will have more than six people who show up. Understand this some time out but if anyone is a "possible" we need to know....easier to downsize than upsize!

SVRA holds a buffet dinner Saturday night at the track with free beer and wine (the best kind!) and perhaps we can join in that. If not we can have a barbeque catered so we can all socialize. Maybe a Friday night get together in the area? Looking for ideas............

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Could it be the one to ship some UK cars across to and join in the fun?

Does someone in New York state have space for a couple of containers to be Parked for a week, unloaded, cars driven and loaded back in for the trip home?

If so I will have to see what can be organised freight wise!

Ian

Back