50th Reunion track time/racing

What events will you do with your GT?

• Racing- For those with cars that are SVRA eligible

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Track- A high speed open track event with instruction available

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Parade/touring laps- Fast, but not full out paced laps

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Outside tour events- Open road touring events run by the Grand Prix Festival

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • None- My car will be a static display only

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We need to start getting some idea of the interest level in the different types of track time/racing/touring that may be available at the September Watkins Glen SVRA event.

You can choose all of the answers that apply.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This is a very important consideration for me as I ponder a 2000+ mile journey with car in tow. Subscribed.

Is it unreasonable to hope for at least 4 or 5 track sessions? I would like to have at least a couple or three shots at some paced but higher speed action. A few parade laps on top of that would be icing on the cake.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
If its happening the same weekend at the MG rally its going to be tough getting a lot of tract time, I would think.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We will have a schedule later this coming week. We need the poll answers so we can negotiate the maximum amount of open track time we can. The current likelihood is 4 hours on Wednesday AM which will be two to three 1/2 sessions per car depending upon attendance. We will then attempt to get one additional 1/2 hour session on both Thursday and Friday. Not set in stone, but that is the current possibility. So you will likely get at least 2/2.5 hours of track time. And those who track know that is actually a fair amount of run time.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
That sounds good Rick. Would that be time be allocated for just us GT40 guys or would there be other cars running around as well?

I said 2000+ mile journey. That is each way ha :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As we currently understand it will be GTs only. We need to have enough cars to keep it that way so thus the poll. We need to gauge the real track time interest to make it work.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Still trying to get fixed prices on shipping the cars over.
Biggest hurdle appears to be getting the right paperwork to drive them on the roads over there. Ship it across to race or display only is easy but add a road drive and the problem multiplies.

Anyone ever had any experience in getting a car a temporary permit to drive in USA?

Ian
Rick if I get the car over I want to be in every bracket except the race as I am not licences.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If we can get some of the Ford GT to show up could they also do laps with the GT40s? There might be some east coast guys that would come out for this.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Still trying to get fixed prices on shipping the cars over.
Biggest hurdle appears to be getting the right paperwork to drive them on the roads over there. Ship it across to race or display only is easy but add a road drive and the problem multiplies.

Anyone ever had any experience in getting a car a temporary permit to drive in USA?

Ian
Rick if I get the car over I want to be in every bracket except the race as I am not licences.

As I understand you may operate the car so long as you are insured with a US registered insurance company or a company that has an agreement with a US company. You must post a bond that insures you re-export the car and do not sell it in the US as it is noncompliant with our regulations. You can, I understand operate it for up to a year as a noncompliant vehicle on a visitor bond (unless you are diplomatic service and then it can stay longer....get yourself appointed ambassador to Arkansas)

I did a little quick Googling and found some posts on temporary importation. Also a good customs broker/freight broker can help. If you need one on this side I can recommend a very good broker.....I saw her talk a US Customs Agent into submission where he even admitted he did not understand the law he was attempting to "enforce."

If I understad correctly we may get 1-1.5 hrs of track time inb on wed am, and possibly a little more thus and fri?

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I would likely not be able to make the early days but would be interested in the Friday onward days if that is a possibility. I'm not going to do any racing but the touring laps would be fun.

Mark

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The vintage race event is Friday to Sunday but out anniversary event will run Wednesday to Sunday. There will be all sorts of activities for the GTs all of the days.

Back