HSR Daytona

My sources tell me several Real GT 40's are coming in from England to run a special race at the HSR Daytona event in November
I spoke to Rick M., he and I will try to verify it.
Ron

Two gt40s are listed in run group A-1. (Philip Walker & Mike Jordan GBR) and (Nigel Williams & Chris Wilson AUS) Race starts at 1pm. Info is at (Classic24Hour.com)

I am going to be there for the sat night 7pm run. If anyone wants to meet up drop me a pm, Scott

Ron Earp

Admin
Looking at a few of the cars appears some are ready for a track day, not a 24 hour race. So what is the format of this "24 hr race"? Multiple run groups run throughout the day and night, so essentially a rotating schedule of sprint races? Pretty neat idea if that's the case.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Looking at a few of the cars appears some are ready for a track day, not a 24 hour race. So what is the format of this "24 hr race"? Multiple run groups run throughout the day and night, so essentially a rotating schedule of sprint races? Pretty neat idea if that's the case.

Ron,

That is the format. Very few of those cars could run for 24 hours much less race!

Ron Earp

Admin
Anyone have links to lap times of the run groups? I will check RaceMonitor since most sanctioning bodies put times up via their site.

Ron and Rick, you are both pretty much on the dime with the format. Different categories go out at different times they somehow come up with groupings (please don't ask me how cuz I couldn't figure it out!) and then they let them race for 45 mins to an hour and then calculate the overall times over 3-4 sessions that go on for the 24 hours. Each team must make a mandatory 5 minute pit stop per session. The GT40's were matched up with all sorts of cars, a Lola T70 MKIII (which was blindingly quick!) a Chevron, a gaggle of 911''s, a Ginetta, an Alpha, a very qucik Camaro, a Porsche 910 and believe it or not a long tail Porsche and many others. The GT 40's held their own and ran about 5-6th place for most of the sessions. The owners (Chris Wilson and Philip Walker) of the MK 1 GT 40's were as acommodating as you could get. Both very open to us being there and loving the support. Very down to earth owners and crew

Also in attendance was Ron Gallo of Bailey Cars. I loved his spirit and and old school style. He showed up with a small crew, a truck and a trailer, unloaded his Baiily GT 40 and off they went. On Friday morning when I arrived there was the Bailey GT 40 going at it with the BIG boys and lo and behold he won his heat only to be DQ'd for not taking the mandatory 5 minute pit stop. Sadly the car lost a synchro on 2nd gear and later a water hose so the car overheated and had to retire. But, to see a very well set up Replica out there running with an Audi 016 box and being driven to the limits (the driver said he thinks he was doing 170 to 180 on the banking) was heartwarming and you couldn't help but pull for them. Shame about the problems though. But in speaking with the driver he said "we'll get it fixed and head for Sebring." Just like ol' skool. To see his crew preparing the car with all the massive transporters and crews working around him was comendable to him and his efforts.

Pat Chaffin did get some photos and will probably post them soon. I'm not good with techno stuff so my apologies. I also managed to get a seat in the Walker GT40 which was a thrill. I hope the event returns but for those of you thinking of coming next year.....a word of warning if you stay close by the track be prepared to listen to the cars all night long. Most of the guests of the hotel I stayed in were not amused as I heard plenty of unsavory comments about the noise and the hotel I was at was at least 1/2 mile away! Music to my ears though! Slept like a baby.

Last edited:
Jim&Pat,
Sorry I missed you guys! I did make it there sunday morning around 11:30. By that time I only saw a mk1 and mk2 in the pits. I also passed a mk1 in the tunnel (silver w/yellow stripe) missing a chunk out of the left side rear clip. I'm sure there is a story there! ;o)

There were so many porsches there it looked like a PCA track day! I have atatched a pic for the rest of you, Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 369

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Kudos to Ron for the Bailey Cars effort. He invited me to attend, but time and finances prevented out attendance.

We need more events and entrants!

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
The GT40's were matched up with all sorts of cars, a Lola T70 MKIII (which was blindingly quick!) a Chevron, a gaggle of 911''s, a Ginetta, an Alpha, a very qucik Camaro, a Porsche 910 and believe it or not a long tail Porsche and many others.ys and lo and behold he won his heat only to be DQ'd for not taking the mandatory

A Chevron, eh?

Red B16 or a yellow B26?
Both belong to my son in law.

He is there over the weekend.

FWIW,
Kirby

Pat, it's always a pleasure spending time with both you and Deb. Thanks for posting the photos and for sending me the others. You got some great shots. A great weekend overall and hope to see you at an Orlando event soon.

Scott, shame we never caught up with each other. Next time though. The car you mentioned (silver/yellow) is the Philip Walker GT40. Hopefully it's just superficial damage if there is such a thing for a multi-million $ car. Ouch! Really great guy too. He's the one who allowed me to drool all over his interior when I sat in the car. Stunning.

Kirby, that car is very quick and was well driven......not a lot of headroom though. The clear "Gurney Bubble" looks odd when you see the drivers head pressed up against it and scratch marks all over it from the helmet. I'm sure your son in law did well baring any unforeseen problems because he was always near the top.

I was there and had a ball driving a Porsche 935. Drivers came from 19 different countries to participate. The racing was very competitive.

Back