1063P 289 engine shuts down at stop light/signs

At speed normal, at stop light or stop signs, engine shuts down. 48 IDAs Master idle increase does not help problem. Fuel pressure just under 4. Plug gaps checked. Have not checked Dwell due to my 86 yr old body. Idle and air jets cleaned and double cleaned.

Are the carb's still in sync? I usually have to check my triple & quad setups every year.
Second, ignition timing. If dwell or timing is out you'll experience these issues also.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Barry,

Was the engine running well and now does not? How hot was the engine when it stopped? Boiling the fuel in the carb(s) is a possibility.

If after cool down it starts up again, that would be a possible indication of fuel boiling. Can also cause an engine fire (don't ask me how I know) so be careful.

Do you have the heat shield installed? More info would be helpful for all the resident rocket scientists here.

Cheers
Ian

Barry, you might try bumping the fuel pressure up 5psi. I run all my webers at 5-5.5psi and that seems to work well.

I assume you have the brass floats? Have you checked them? If the carbs are the original 1960's carbs to the car then there's a chance the floats are no longer...well, floating correctly. I've seen Weber brass floats flooded due to corrosion and vibration.

Enjoy the car!

Back