930 CV Joint and 36 Spline?

The half shafts on my RCR40 ( ~2007 ) have a measured diameter of ~1.128" (smooth part) and ~1.174" max. at the splined end. The shafts have 36 teeth per end. Interestingly, the CV joints have the Porsche 940 dimensions 40mm thick and 108mm diameter (CV1018 flanges) and, of course, a 36 spline spider. I have only found 930 CV joints with 28 and 30 tooth splines available for sale.

Has anybody seen such a CV joint before and/or know where to get them?
Photos are attached.

Attachments

• P1010621.jpeg
    P1010621.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 39
  • P1010620.jpeg
    P1010620.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010619.jpeg
    P1010619.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 46

Howard Jones

Supporter
Call the Drive Shaft Shop. The short story is these 36 spline CV's are no longer made unless they are specially ordered. The cost of four special 36 spline CV's is more than four of the now standard 30 spline CV's AND 2 new 30 spline driveshafts combined. I had the same issue last year when I broke one 36-spline CV on my SLC. I changed over to 30 spline parts from the DSS.

800-564-2244

The 36 spline CV's were the state of the art years ago. Materials advances have now overcome the need to add spline count to increase strength and the 30-spine axle is, pretty much, now standard and stronger.

IMHO, replace all that 36 spline stuff and be done with it. In the future, there will be many 30-spline CV sources.

Thanks - very helpful. I had contacted the DS Shop before (email) but have not received an answer yet. May have to call overseas...

Howard Jones

Supporter
Walter, I had a thought......... I have 3 of the 36 spline CVs that are worn BEYOND USE for anything except putting a car back under its own power so as to be able to drive it at VERY LOW-performance use. NO spirited driving. I would think that shipping them to Austria would be more than they are worth but it would allow you to at least move the car around under its own power. Abet slowly and carefully. If you send me a shipping address I will get back to you what it would cost you to get them to you. I want nothing for them. They would be free except for the cost of shipping them.

They are worn quite a lot but not broken. There are three. Again only usable for allowing you to drive the car very easily. If you give them the beans they will break,

Up to you.

Hi Howard: Thanks for your kind offer but there is no need. My CV's actually are in pretty good shape still - so no immediate need to replace them. For now I'll replace the torn boot minimum. If the Drive Shaft Shop can supply vented boots I'll replace them all and service/inspect the joints over winter. I'll probably order a new axle pair with the 930 30 spline CV joints for spare parts to have them ready when I need them. This set should be similar to the Porsche 944 set, however, custom axle length. I did the measurements this afternoon and contacted Tad. He should be back to work next week.
Thanks everybody. I think I can take it from here ;-)

Back