930 starters

Great write-up Bill. I'm using an IMI 101 and Kennedy assures me it will work okay with my LS engine. The IMI 101N has a bit more torque though. Haven't tested it as yet.

Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to give me detailed instructions for replacing my ring gear - it seems like a very delicate projects with many steps to remember! I kinda believe that my problem was caused by too much timing on start up which as you suggest could cause the engine to kick back. How much time do you think it will take to replace the ring gear?

One of the techs at Renegade Hybrids where I bought the replacement ring gear suggested that I install a MSD Starter retard control, Model # 8982 or 8987. This controller allows you to retard the advance 10 or 25 degrees automatically at start up. Have you had any experience with these?

I purchased the hardened 930 ring gear - yet it looks flimsy compared to gears on big block flywheels that I'm accustomed to.

I always thought that the starter gear was made of a softer metal than the ring gear so that it would go before the ring gear - the starter gear on my high torque starter looks pretty tough. Is there a softer starter gear available to your knowledge?

John

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was told ab out the retard setup. I have complete control of the timing of my engine. The computers will let me set whatever timing I want every 200 rpm if need be. So I can dial it in. The old guys that I consulted about my problems told me about the retard and how it cured their sons race car.
The starter gear shouldn't be softer to my knowledge, it is a tapered gear so that it can engage the ring gear better. Remember that the diameter is so much smaller that it goes through a bigger arc than the ring gear and it needs the sharp edge to slide into the gear recess.

Molleur, When you have done it three times in 4 months you tend to remember how it is done:shocked:

Bill

Bill,

I finally got around to replacing the ring gear. Your detailed instructions on how to do that were very helpful and I wanted to again thank you.

There were a few minor differences in my setup from yours! Mine does have a hydraulic TOB release setup (I only had to remove the pin from the slave cylinder to remove this). Also, my gear was flipped rather than the transaxle meaning the lever was on the bottom!

John

:thumbsup:

Back