Arizona Private Track Event- SPF GT-40 & SPF Daytona

I wish I had a car to take and could make it!

I think it was 2003 when Ford sponsored a "conference" for some of the brokerage firms that sold their bonds. We had a 1/2 day session at the Bondurant School and it was a blast! I've been wanting to get back there. (They put us up in the Wild Horse Resort.)

Have fun and take a lot of pictures for all of us who can't make it.

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
I'm bringing some fun new HD video toys, including suction mounts, ultra-lightweight HD cameras, and crazy lenses, so hopefully we'll get some fun "action footage".

Plus, wifey is a pro still photographer, and theoretically I should be able to convince her to shoot a few!

Charlie,
We need some alternatives to the video postings here to far. Please post some footage and information. I am looking for some equipment, but not being a videofile, I don't know what is out there and will work without lots of extras or add ons. Cost is one objective, but would like to know the full spectrum so to speak. There was good info from a search on camcorders. One thread was:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-tra...ate-car-video-system.html?highlight=camcorder
Let us know what you have, what works, and what you got at the track.

Bill

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
I'm bringing a ChaseCam PDR setup with a front-tow-hook-mounted bulletcam, as well as a Panasonic RAM-based camcorder (full 1920x1080 HD, as big as a can of Red Bull!), pro suction cup mounts for exterior mounting, and, if I can get it calibrated, a Steadicam Merlin (for smooth fly-arounds of stationary cars).

We should get some fun footage!

The full ChaseCam setup is about $1000 with a 4gig card, mounts, camera, PDR, everything... Not exactly cheap, or HD, but it is THE industry standard, and as rugged as it needs to be. Fully professional quality. 2 hours of SD video on a 4gig CF card.

The Panasonic and Sony RAM-based camcorders (also about $1000 each) are great for motorsports (no moving parts!), but they ARE plasticy consumer devices, and should be treated with care. However, they are useful on junior's birthday, not just at the track. Sony (HDR-CX7) has an amazing true slow-motion (in 3 sec. bursts) capability, but the image is only 1440x1080, so not true HD, and the colors and motion artifacts are worse than on the Panasonics.

Panasonic (HDC-SD5) is TRUE 1920x1080 HD video, with no slow motion, but much better color and motion capability. That's what I'll bring. 40 minutes of HD video on a $100 4gig SD card.

Both Sony and Panasonic HD cams store video on cards in AVCHD format, which is new, so verify that your editing program can use it. Final Cut Express and iMovie8 both work. Sony or Panasonic AVCHD files are viewable on Playstation3 right from the card slot on the front, in full HD. Panasonic also gives you a DVD burner for free that can back up a full card, or burn an HD disc viewable on Blu-Ray. Amazing.

ChaseCam stores as SD (i.e. non-HD) MPEG movies, easy to view and use.

I will have both the ChaseCam and the Panasonic there, and after a bit of editing, we can all see how they stack up!

Taking it to the next level, with a $1000 35mm lens adaptor (search Letus35 on YouTube and watch examples) you can use lenses from a 35mm SLR camera on any cheap-o camcorder, giving you a totally shallow depth-of-field and lots of lens flare (think TopGear-quality images!). I don't have mine yet, but that's next month. These start to get heavier, so the suction-cup vehicle mounts get a little bigger... but it's worth it. Home movies that look like Top Gear? Sign me up!

Last edited:
Charlie, I'm almost as exited to see your camera gear as I am to run the track!! Its going to be great footage for sure!

Please see my post below about other drivers, I think it applies to you.

All,

It is not necessary to notify me or anyone else to join this event. You may simply arrive at Firebird raceway, fill out the necessary docs, listen to a short speech on track rules, and drive! Also, If you plan to bring one car but you AND a friend/relative would like to drive you will only be charged for ONE driver.

Please be at the track and ready to listen to the previously mentioned speech by 8am

If you would like to talk to me about any details, please feel free to call me.

Jeff Boulais
602-763-0911

Last edited:
One of our attendees is going to bring breakfast for everyone! Please plan on eating breakfast sandwiches and drinking coffee at the track!!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Nice enough day (overcast, mild temp) and some nice cars showed up. I got to ride in the white/blue stripe GT and the Superformance 40. It was a night and day experience but both were a blast!

Thanks for the invite and thanks for the rides Jeff! And also thanks to Nathan and Terry for rolling in with the breakfast.

If anyone wants full size pics, PM me. I've got a few others I didn't post as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_2539.jpg
    IMG_2539.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_2540.jpg
    IMG_2540.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2580 crop.jpg
    IMG_2580 crop.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 382
Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to attend the event and post the pictures for those people like myself that are unable to attend. It must have been really neat to see those cars at speed!

I got to ride in the white/blue stripe GT and the Superformance 40. It was a night and day experience but both were a blast!

Thanks for the invite and thanks for the rides Jeff!

It was nice to meet you Chris! Your welcome to a ride any time. I'd like to come by and see your car some time, I don't have your number though. Could you email or PM it to me?

Those breakfast sandwiches were awesome!! I've got to make a run over to Nathan's shop! Pleaissant Croissants - Contact Us

Charlie,
Have you edited the video yet? Would like to see some of it posted. How was your equipment supported? What kind of mounts did you use? Who is a good supplier of the equipment used. "Need imput".

Bill

Back