CAV cv joint boots

Hello all, I am trying to track down a better option for CV joint boots. I have CAV chassis 169. It is a later chassis with a ZF trans axle. The angle to the stub axles is a little steeper than the standard trans(gtrag,G60). I have replaced the stock boots(both outsides failed after 2600 miles) with Dorman Unifit boots 614-001. They are universal trim to fit. But, I am looking for something much more specific and heavy duty.
The axles measure 1 1/8" in diameter and have a mounting flange on the joint of 2 1/2" in diameter. Any feedback is appreciated.

Mike,

I have had to replace the CV boots on my CAV once so far. I use standard 930 porsche CV boots. I'm not sure if you use 930 sized boots, but if you do I recommend going to the pelicanparts.com technical BB as there are smart people there who can source boots in this size which may be better than what you're currently using.

Mike;
If you search Dorman you will find a silicone boot that holds up really well, don't know the number off hand but I have bought them at NAPA. I think the pricing was about $15 or thereabouts.
Cheers
Phil

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mike

In my experience the reason these boots fail is because they are running at too great an angle and as they turn they are having to stretch and compress too much.
In an OEM situation they run almost parallel
If you have trouble fitting them and are finding that you have to stretch them over their mounting lips and hold them there while you do up the clamps because of the angle there is a solution.

Fit the end of the boot over the CV joint lip and tighten the clamp.(not too tight)
then slide the axle side of the boot down towards the CV joint and compress the boot a little and clamp in that position.
This takes the stress of the boot having to stretch too much due to the excessive angle.

If your axles have a recess where the axle side of the boot should be fitted use a section of heater hose or similar fitted in the recess and that will keep the boot compressed and stop it from moving away from the CV joint.

I am running a G50 with a 5.4 in a DRB and found the same issues with the boots no matter which brand I tried.
The best I could get was about 1000km's before they broke.
After a bit of head scratching and then trying the above I have had no further problems and now have 26000km's on the clock.

Dimi

Hi Mike

In my experience the reason these boots fail is because they are running at too great an angle and as they turn they are having to stretch and compress too much.
In an OEM situation they run almost parallel
If you have trouble fitting them and are finding that you have to stretch them over their mounting lips and hold them there while you do up the clamps because of the angle there is a solution.

Fit the end of the boot over the CV joint lip and tighten the clamp.(not too tight)
then slide the axle side of the boot down towards the CV joint and compress the boot a little and clamp in that position.
This takes the stress of the boot having to stretch too much due to the excessive angle.

If your axles have a recess where the axle side of the boot should be fitted use a section of heater hose or similar fitted in the recess and that will keep the boot compressed and stop it from moving away from the CV joint.

I am running a G50 with a 5.4 in a DRB and found the same issues with the boots no matter which brand I tried.
The best I could get was about 1000km's before they broke.
After a bit of head scratching and then trying the above I have had no further problems and now have 26000km's on the clock.

Dimi

Its for this reason that I cast a diff housing box for the g50. I also made the casting take the pantera type bellhousing. This enable me to flip the diff and keep the box down in the chassis, also could run a full size clutch and it gave me plenty of room for the silencer. I only made the one but I do have the mold still. I will dig it out and take some piccies. A cheap pantera box turned up for the second build but in the absence of that I would have built another g50 the right way up.

Bob

Back