Drove Hershal's RF40 - Hot damn!

Ron Earp

Admin
Drove Hershal\'s RF40 - Hot damn!

Well,

Last week I had the distinct pleasure to visit with Hershal Byrd and Gordon Levy's shop out in Phoenix AZ. First time I'd seen Hershal's car and it is beautiful!

Hershal has painted the RF40 a nice dark silver color with black stripes. The workmanship is quite nice with good attention to detail throughout the car. And, as an aside, it will be appearing in a forthcoming issue of KitCar magazine.

We had a short drive around and it was excellent!!! The car is quiet inside (especially compared to a 427SO Gordon had running around) and produces sounds levels to where you and easily talk without yelling. Until you get on it, then it is a sound only a 40 with a V8 can make.

Gordon's shop built thre 306 motor that powers the car and it is strong. In my opinion, it is a little soft below 3000 RPM, but the Audi tranny makes sure you aren't below 3000 RPM for long, that is for sure. Above 34-3600 RPM the motor pulls like a demon and just won't quit! Hershal had to kick me out from driving after awhile as I wouldn't drive it hard enough, but hey, it ain't my car! Makes me wonder about my engine choice though, I think the 342 I have is going to be too torquey on the bottom and not enough up top. We shall see soon as it is on the dyno in Feb. If it doesn't work out I'll be calling Gordon for one of his motors, I think he has some good ones.

Anyhow, Hershals car is very comfortable, a pleasure to drive, and damn fast. I didn't get a chance to check out handling, but I can definitely say the car feels wonderful on the road, attracts a lot of attention, and is flat out awesome!

Hershal I appreciate you putting me up and allowing me to meet your family. Come out to see us anytime, the beach house is good too. John and Mikeys, great to meet you as well and hope to see you at the Spring Fling!

Best,
Ron

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Drove Hershal\'s RF40 - Hot damn!

Fantastic Ron! I really enjoy the fact that in such a short time many connections have been made via this forum and a wealth of information exchanged. Hershal and yourself are true RF USA patriots. Quality car, great builder. In my opinion, the more cars we can bring the the US the better!

Surely this is more inspiration to finish your car. Now stop poking around on your PC and get back into the garage!
wink.gif

Hershal, if I come out can I abuse (I mean test drive) your car? I promise I won't pamper it like Ron!

Hey Ron, I took Bill Peirce ( www.ffcobra.com owner ) for a ride today in my car with the 342 and he didn't seem to complain about not enough top end. Sort of the opposite, 4th gear at 6400rpm, shifting into 5th and he had enough
smile.gif

Ron,
Anytime my friend. If you come back out this way again I hope you will have more time. I will take you out where there are some twistys so you can check out the handling.
Neal, you are welcome anytime. It would be my pleasure to let you drive my GT. I offer that invitation to all that come to Phoenix.
They are no fun if you can't share the excitment.
grin.gif

Wayne, in a straight line I may have to concede to your 342 but on the track I might be more optomistic. Either way it would be a blast.I can just see it now.
THE RF & CAV SHOOT OUT !!! Don't miss it!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
I'm sure the magazines would luv that. Win or loose it would be a bunch of fun.
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Back